Unsung Forum »
"I hate the blues."

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re:
Nov 08, 2009, 00:36
I think it's definitely true of rock. There hasn't been very much original ideas in that genre in decades, and alot of it now is so awful that I hardly ever go record shopping anymore.
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Re:
Nov 08, 2009, 17:43
I think JC is just being naughty and playful when he says a lot of things like that.

I wouldn't take it too seriously and I actually think he's very funny in his writings a lot of the time.
Plus, I reckon he reads most of the posts all over these forums (if you had your own website, you'd do exactly that) and of course, he also has a great laugh himself doing so too, he's only human after all!

;-)
FOMouse
FOMouse
228 posts

Re:
Nov 08, 2009, 17:53
Jim Tones wrote:
he's only human after all!

;-)

Well, lets face it. That doesn't give you much to work with.

fnff fnff.
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Re:
Nov 08, 2009, 18:02
FOMouse wrote:
Jim Tones wrote:
he's only human after all!

;-)

Well, lets face it. That doesn't give you much to work with.

fnff fnff.

hmmm... or he could be actually posting on these forums.... under a disguise ???

=8-o
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Re:
Nov 08, 2009, 23:49
I love all those old Ma Raney/Bessie Smith/Charlie Patton tunes. Something pure about them. Scratchy, barely making it, truly booze soaked. And not in the least bit asking you to 'check out their woes'. Actually, they're almost celebrating being fecked. Nothing studied about it. It just seems to 'happen'.

However Led Zep are the perhaps the only 'rock band' for me who do anything fresh with 'blues inflections'. Tight, funky, and folky. Fluid, and with clarity.

For the most part elsewhere it's either guitar wank showmanship or 'wading through the mud', with added note bending tricks. Just so formulaic it's unreal. And 'worthy'. Jesus Christ it gets so feckin worthy!

x
embryonomore
embryonomore
853 posts

Re:
Nov 09, 2009, 00:43
I've spent more time than anyone born in the era I was born into should listening to old blues recordings from the early part of the 20th Century.

I can say with absolution, I love the blues. I utterly hate wanky whiteman blues, but those old recordings are like a time machine and nothing matches them.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re:
Nov 09, 2009, 10:28
handofdave wrote:

Hey, Muddy is much beloved, and rightfully so.

I'm still dying to hear recordings from him around '58 when he foreshadowed rock excess by about 10-15 years by being deafeningly loud & white hot guitar driven.

Can't really see why anybody with ears would be dissing him really. Think it's more white interpretations of him that suck, his own work is 'kin intense.

& there's a lot more to that Chicago scene that's also damn fine.
stevo
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index