Unsung Forum »
AOTM

179 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Re: AOTM
Apr 01, 2009, 21:36
I think... me being me; a big Bolan and Alice Cooper fan from the beginning of the 70s, seeing KISS appear and instantly go massive in '74, while my own heroes were creatively at odds and getting drunk and sloppy, made me feel somehow a little cheated.

Here, after all was the T.REX / Coop template was being recycled (and amplified tenfold) and resold to greater reward to an audience who had been merely primed before.

Had KISS somehow developed the idea from scratch first - then the world wouldn't have been ready for them, instead. However, the industry was now ready for bright, brash and camp. They were given bigger budgets (as well as the best session musicians money could buy). They weren't innovators, of course. Corporate Rock is the antithesis of innovation. Merely cartoon characatures, repackaged for spoiled Disney kids, IMO. There was a whole big-bucks industry behind the brand, so continued productivity was essential. More recorded output and even bigger high budget flash tours were demanded by share holders and public alike to further realise those cashflow forecasts. Sorry, getting carried away, now.

No, I'm not a KISS fan, as you can see. But then I realise there is a lot of prejudice, on my part, blocking my ears.

I did like early Van Halen and a whole lot of similar genre metal before the likes of Skid Row and Bon Jovi finally buried it, though.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index