Unsung Forum »
Prog Britannia

79 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Re: Prog Britannia
Jan 10, 2009, 09:47
A belated hello to all this. Just stopped partying after the bells (I wish).

Anyway, did really enjoy all these shows, and it makes sense VDGG were not included, coz it does show how apart from it all they really were. Ok King Crimson had a certain meance, but Hammill's lot took it somewhere else. Infact they never even went there really. Perhaps Soft Machine spurred them on a bit to start with.

As for the rest...It's always comical to see Charles Shaar Murray get all hot and bothered about something he obviously feels threatened by (brushing his teeth for one), even although he pretends prog did all the running from punk. Shows what a sad insecure little blues bore he is. No. It was at it's arse end anyway, wasn't it? It went out with Rik Wakemen using props from It's A Knockout etc, punk achieved nowt there.

I can't say I'm much of a fan of 'prog', suppose Caravan have a nice pastoral vibe about them (the 'Grey and Pink' album I'm most familiar with), and there a couple of no bad Genesis tunes. Yes had quite a tough drum sound, didn't they? Still don't see myself ever going the pace with much of it. What the hell anyway, prog sort of came out of it a bit triumphant.

Wyatt's comments re how punk mistakenly reckons itself as some sort of musical subversion are bang on too. Most of these proggers 'unplayed' their instrumnets whereas with punk the 3 chord template was set and forever more they slavishly trundled over it. A few really great tunes ensued, but most of it was tosh.

Anyhow great telly and surprisingly refreshing all round:-)

x
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index