Prog Britannia

79 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Re: Prog Britannia
Dec 30, 2008, 14:35
Dunno about getting bogged down in what is prog debate, the bands that have been mentioned might have been as diversely regarded by such adherents from an earlier age (of which there are none - adherents that is) if you applied the debate to bands like : The Honeycombs say versus the Unit 4 +2 debate, or the Koobas vs the Simon Dupree and the Big sound - theres no 'versus' or debate about them about them - only when the record companies starting with Island, then the majors came out with Harvest, Dawn, Vertigo, Decca Nova along with the MM,the NME, Disc&Echo, and dedicated publication like 'Let it Rock or even street life that a whole constituency emerged. I can happily reject the word 'Prog' and regard 'progressive rock' or music as quite different, as bands that I like still listen to like Focus, King Crimson, Mahavishnu, The Mothers and FZ fractional division therof, Miles, Terje Rypdal as far more vital than than what I call the jaundiced debate that prog has got into - look at some of the musicians taking the piss out of themselves ( see BBC4 trailer).

Who coined Progressive music ? I think it was a good term hijacked in a curious way by 'Prog', whose derivation is obvious but I feel different.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index