Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Re: Prog Britannia
Dec 30, 2008, 19:50
IanB wrote:
Deepinder Cheema wrote:
Who coined Progressive music ? I think it was a good term hijacked in a curious way by 'Prog', whose derivation is obvious but I feel different.

I would agree, Prog became a marketing term to cover the specifically neo-classical / pseudo-classical off-shoots from Psych. I too prefer Progressive as a catch-all but it the two are not mutually exclusive. A lot of worthwhile music got made under the Prog banner and all truly progressive music is by definition worthwhile as it is primarily forward-looking rather than a nostalgic re-creation of something already dead-ended.

It's sad if some of Prog's exponents are going for self-mockery like a bunch of Bill Baileys. Their insecurity is tragic. You wouldn't see Fripp or Hamill or Vander stooping so low. Would never occur to them to be apologetic.

I like your list and consider those artists to be of great virtue whether you like what they sound like or not. Unfortunately too many people think that all Progressive music is moog-men-in-capes in the same way that they think Zappa was a comedian with a Carlos Santana fixation. People talk about Mahavishnu and VdGG being unlistenable in the same way as they dismiss Webern or Sun Ra. Their loss. I hope they and their I IV V AABA are happy together.

I would happily continue this through New Years but I have to disappear for a few days. Though you have prompted me to dig out Focus III, Tabernakel and that Peter Banks / Jan Akkerman collaboration.

An excellent analysis based on my humble stumblings into the debate on etymology, and certain musicians and their insecurities - you have it on the button there. Funny you should mention Jan and Pete Banks - Jan is largely ignored through his own stubborness and vanity, which is a shame because he is such a better (incredibly) guitarist and improvising player these days - I think he recently eschewed a chance to collaborate with Pete Banks, which is a shame - but the days when large amounts of money from a record company for artists of this stature to make a record are no more. I believe Jan had talks with Billy Cobham a coupla years ago to make music/gigs also - I wonder what went wrong there?
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index