Your albums of the year

94 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Your albums of the year
Dec 09, 2008, 20:51
I'd been meaning to start a thread like this anyway, thanks!

Always too much stuff to ever hear it all . . . so far my "Top 3" of 2008 are:

Steve Malkmus & the Jicks "Real Emotional Trash" -- his best solo effort yet, better than most Pavement albums, packed with 6-10 minute guitar jams of the awesome kind that you just don't hear much of these days.

Matmos "Supreme Balloon" -- best of several interesting "retro analog keyboard" style albums of late. Playful updating of mid-70's electro duos like Cluster and early Kraftwerk. Title track is a killer epic (while "Autobahn" was a linear classic, "Supreme Balloon" is distinctly three dimensional . . . )

Various Artists "Miles From India" -- Miles Davis sidemen and musicians from the subcontinent get together to delve deeper into that brief period in 1972 when MD was using a lot of sitars and tablas. Such a cool idea!

Other "best of the year" quality albums for me (alphabetical order):

Black Angels "Directions To See A Ghost" (better than their debut -- great live band, great sound, and the songwriting is "getting there")

Black Mountain "In The Future" (a heavier, proggier neo-psych kind of band from Canada. I like 'em better than Wooden Shjips!)

Dungen "4" (another great-sounding album by Swedish neo-psych masters)

Earthling Society "Beauty & The Beast" (yet another take on neo-psych, with "rustic" and "80's" flavors this time)

The Mars Volta "The Bedlam In Goliath" (polarising "prog" band)

Spectrum "Meets Captain Memphis: Indian Giver" (best Sonic Boom record since the Spacemen 3 days?)

Stereolab "Chemical Chords" (no new ground, but their best since "Sound-Dust" at least)

Tobacco "Fucked Up Friends" (solo album by Black Moth Super Rainbow's "singer" is the "official sequel" to last year's great "Dandelion Gum" album)

Unio & Petitio "Cheers Fanx Ta" (uncategorizable barmy Brit duo -- electro-cabaret rock?)

Plus these are also quite good (also alphabetical):

Antrilon "Brain Erase" (more analog synths)

Big Block 454 "Bratislava" (weird pop self-release from N. Britain)

Byrne & Eno "Everything that happens will happen today"

Company Incorporated "Mr. Person" (art-punk self-release from Minnesota)

Deerhoof "Offend Maggie" (not nearly as good as their last one)

Die! Die! Die! "Promises, Promises" (kewl "post-punk" from New Zealand)

Dirtbombs "We Have You Surrounded" (Mick Collins is da man!)

Duchess Says "Anthologie . . ." (some French title; post-punk moog rock from Quebec)

Fiery Furnaces "Remember" (double live set!)

Free Kitten "Inherit" (Kim, Julie & Yoshimi together again)

The High Places - self-titled album, plus also a CD of early singles & stuff (another electro-duo)

Mogwai "The Hawk is Howling" (not sure what to think of this group, but there's usually something on every CD that grabs my ear -- latest seems to be full of "ambient" and "heavy" stuff leaning towards instrumentals.)

Monotonix "Body Language" (decent enough record, but don't miss them live!! Fuzzy in-yr-face freak rock.)

Of Montreal "Skeletal Lamping" (another not sure what to think group, but "interesting" art pop kinda thing)

Vampire Hands "Me & You Cherry Red" (another no-name band from Minnesota I think)

Wire "Object 47" (one guy quit, but still sounds like Wire)
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index