Bands You Just Don't Get ...

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Mrs Ahab
Mrs Ahab
1138 posts

Re: whats the difference
Oct 04, 2008, 00:13
between a band you dont get and a band you dont like?
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Re: Bands You Just Don't Get ...
Oct 04, 2008, 00:28
The Beta Band
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Oct 04, 2008, 01:19
Oct 04, 2008, 01:17
Moon Cat wrote:
Popel Vooje wrote:
The White Stripes.

Quite how a 14th rate Royal Trux tribute band have ascended to the critical and commercial heights that they've achieved is an even bigger mystery than the identity of Jack the Ripper. Even the normally infallible Peelie supported them. Why, John, why?

Simple, cos Royal Trux made mostly unlistenable arse, so self referencingly shite they actually illustrated it with some gusto on an album cover, that people pretend to like because of THE FEAR, and to their credit, some quite good tunes when they uncoupled the cranial-sphincter interface.

The White Stripes, in the meantime, have better riffs plus the added wonderment of Meg's head tilt.

I disagree on both points. Royal Trux's early albums may be unlistenable to those who - unlike me - don't enjoy formless, primitive cacophony for its own sake. Their later albums like "Thank You", on the other hand, are fairly digestable Stones/Dolls-influenced sleaze-rawk that did the whole minimalist two-piece rockstar couple shebang with way more verve and abandon than the Stripes' contrived "we're teetotal but we still rock" shtick (yeah, and I'm a murderer who's never killed anybody, a bestselling novelist who's never written a book, or a bisexual man who's never had a homosexual experience).

I also find this whole "are they a couple or are they related" hype tiresome in the extreme. Who, outside of their fervent fanbase, gives a flying donkey-turd? If their music had anything of interest to offer, they wouldn't need to use such a cheesy, predictably innuendo-soaked angle to sell themselves. I fail to find anything remotely appealing about them other than Meg's catalogue-model foxy looks. The fact that such a boring, conventional, retrogressive band are seen as being in any way refreshing or stimulating only serves as indictment of how stale indie-rock has become over the last 16 years.

I'd rather listen to Phil Collins, Barry Manilow and Cliff Richard raping each other in an aircraft hangar than be subjected to their mind-numbingly unimaginative blooze-rawk bollocks ever again. Come back Coldplay - all is forgiven.
Spaceship mark
Spaceship mark
1686 posts

Oct 04, 2008, 01:31
I didn't get ye zeppelin untill i accidentally listened to them REALLY FUCKING LOUD then I did.

If that don't work then please admit defeat...
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

Oct 04, 2008, 04:05
Mr Connolly would be as proud of you as i am Keith, after that statement!

As i stated earlier, i don't hate The Doors, they just fail to MOVE (now,there's a great band) me.

I have tried,in the past, to break down my love's/hate's musically and i just can't do it.
For every KISS i like i also like a Magazine/Devoto/Shelley, which surely means i should like The Doors, but, i just don't get em!

So i come to the conclusion that musically, i am one mixed up mofo!

Ain't that the beauty of music though?
And that's why i love this forum and the folk on here so much!
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

Oct 04, 2008, 04:12
You're having a laugh mate?

Well! Obviously not, but please explain that one to me!

I will listen BTW.
redbarchetta
redbarchetta
335 posts

Oct 04, 2008, 09:53
Phish are interesting ... Billy Breathes is an amazing record and I went out and bought several of their other records in the hope that they're as good ... but they weren't ... which is a great pity.

Sooo, Phish are pish but Billy Breathes is magnificent ..
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

Oct 04, 2008, 10:11
BTW Red, how did you get on with Music From The Elder mate?

Just wondered!
Davey_B
Davey_B
408 posts

Edited Oct 04, 2008, 10:30
Oct 04, 2008, 10:30
Weather Report and Brand X

Dave B
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 04, 2008, 13:16
Oct 04, 2008, 11:30
bubblehead2 wrote:
Blimey, they're the three that sprang to my mind too. Er, i haven't got a downer on Manchester BTW, it's probably related to E's and the fact i've never taken any. Was all partied out by 87/88 and into my domestic period !

And The Smiths for me too. I'll concede that Mozzer's written some great lyrics, only i prefer to read them than hear them.

Of course there's quite a few more to add to the list but those 4 are the ones others are surprised i don't appreciate.

The E thing passed me by too. Was too busy being loved-up for real and bringing up my kids.

One look at Flowered Up or The Farm or Shed 7 made me want to vomit.

I thought New Order were good when they had Barnsey rapping. Monday and Roses were just comedy acts to me. The musical equivalent of Harry Enfield's scally wig and shell suit gag. Oh and I forgot to add Primal Scream to that list. Don't get them at all.

I can see why people like The Smiths and for me they get an eternal free pass for the song Meat Is Murder and that "smack me on the patio" line in Reel Around The Fountain. I am not a fan though. Hate that hi-life meets Duane Eddy thing that Johnny Marr was into. Suede were more convincing glam fakers and Butler the better Ronno knock-off.
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index