Bands You Just Don't Get ...

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re: Bands You Just Don't Get ...
Oct 03, 2008, 19:00
The White Stripes.

Quite how a 14th rate Royal Trux tribute band have ascended to the critical and commercial heights that they've achieved is an even bigger mystery than the identity of Jack the Ripper. Even the normally infallible Peelie supported them. Why, John, why?

Not only that, they've spawned a legion of even crappier imitators who follow the same two-piece guitarist/drummer format. Had the unfortunate luck to be in the Montague Arms last month whilst some band called No One You Know (appropriately, seeing as there was no-one there) attempted, and failed miserably, to pull off the same one-trick pony act as the Stripes.

Shite bands may be a fact of life, but bands who aspire to be other shite bands are even sadder.
Malibu de bum bum
Malibu de bum bum
29 posts

Oct 03, 2008, 19:02
with you on goldfrapp. That 7th tree or whatever it's called did very little for me. Ladytron don't seem like much cop to me also
Lawrence
9547 posts

Oct 03, 2008, 19:03
Oh yeah the White Stripes, who really sucked live as far as I'm concerned...
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Oct 03, 2008, 19:03
Moon Cat wrote:
It's just down to the sound in the end isn't it?

It doesn't matter how many critical plaudits, whatever the politics, the 'importance', the 'cultural significance', and I'd argue, the lyrics* and all of the other peripheral gubbins that goes with music; if you don't like the actual 'sound they make' then thats it. People can bang on about a certain artists 'worth' til their faces explode but if you don't like the noise they're making then that's it.

Hence, for me, to name but two, Dylan and The Clash - the noise they make does nothing for me, apart from maybe irritate.

*again back to Dylan as an example. Yes, I am aware of, even admire, some of his wordsmithery. I'd just rather read 'em than listen to 'em.

I like Dylan's records - some of them, anyway - but I'm with you on the Clash. Always thought they were massively over-rated too, and whilst I don't like to speak ill of the dead, Joe Strummer always struck me as a po-faced, pompous arse.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Oct 03, 2008, 19:06
Lawrence wrote:
Oh yeah the White Stripes, who really sucked live as far as I'm concerned...

I agree. I saw them once, and the absence of a bass definitely doesn't work onstage.
Malibu de bum bum
Malibu de bum bum
29 posts

Oct 03, 2008, 19:11
Of the one's already mentioned, i'd go along with stereolab, goldfrapp and The Clash. I'd also add Van De Graff Generator. Can't understand people's dislike of Elbow tho. They must be emotionally stinted/disturbed not to get the beauty of their songs! Gonna see them next week as it goes...
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Oct 03, 2008, 19:25
Oct 03, 2008, 19:22
This is so gonna end in "wah you don't like mine so yours are rubbish boo hoo!"

Maybe that was the point.

Oh well, I'm right, you're all wrong. Complaints can be filed in the blazing hearth 'neath the mantle in the halls of my forefathers.com
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Oct 03, 2008, 19:33
Oct 03, 2008, 19:33
Popel Vooje wrote:
The White Stripes.

Quite how a 14th rate Royal Trux tribute band have ascended to the critical and commercial heights that they've achieved is an even bigger mystery than the identity of Jack the Ripper. Even the normally infallible Peelie supported them. Why, John, why?

Simple, cos Royal Trux made mostly unlistenable arse, so self referencingly shite they actually illustrated it with some gusto on an album cover, that people pretend to like because of THE FEAR, and to their credit, some quite good tunes when they uncoupled the cranial-sphincter interface.

The White Stripes, in the meantime, have better riffs plus the added wonderment of Meg's head tilt.
riotmaster
1563 posts

Oct 03, 2008, 19:53
absolutely!
riotmaster
1563 posts

Oct 03, 2008, 19:55
Paul Fucking Weller

i didn't even like the Jam. the less said about the Style Council the better and well, his solo stuff ...
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index