Bands You Just Don't Get ...

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9572 posts

Re: Bands You Just Don't Get ...
Oct 03, 2008, 19:58
Moon Cat wrote:

And how is the whole post-punk hegemony a 'new slant' on things? New?!!! That stuff is all flippin' older than Maiden now ;^)

Obviously I meant new at the time. Obviously not all post-punk bands had a new slant on things - they had their copycatters like everyone else. But I stand by the bands in that list that they all, regardless of whether anyone likes them or not, had a new sland at the time.

Moon Cat wrote:

Seriously, a substantial divide betwixt, for want of a better phrase, the metal brigade and the long overcoats, is that the metal brigade will happily acknowledge, even embrace the silliness and ridiculousness of our first love - metal fans still love Bad News/Spinal Tap et al more than most - but there is a post-punk po facedness to someone for whom Joy Division* are the mutz nutz. There will never be a Spinal Tap equivalent of the 'new slant' artists cos they're not funny and the fans can't laugh at em anyway. It's like 'entertainment' is a dirty word, unless it falls from Paul Weller's gob preceded by the word "That's" ;^)
And metal fans have had to, by simple survival, grow thicker skins. That's why we're so metal you see heee!

I think that's a huge generalisation to say that metal fans embrace silliness and that Joy Division fans are po-faced. I love Joy Division, and I can assure you, regardless of how I might come across on here, I'm not remotely po-faced in 'real life'!

(Honest, guv. Just cos I don't put smiley faces after everything I write doesn't mean I'm being serious!!)

I love Bad News, Spinal Tap. I really don't think you need to like metal to appreciate those films any more than you need to have shown dogs to appreciate Best In Show.

I haven't got a problem with anyone still liking their first loves. I still like most of mine, it's just that with being an old bastard they (The Move, Manfred Mann, Beatles, etc) are a different kettle of fish to someone who was growing up a later time.

Neither have I got a problem with entertainment or 'silliness'. I don't just listen to the so-called greats like VU all day - I like loads of daft pop songs that I won't embarrass myself by admitting to right now.

And I know for a fact that if Wig Wam Bam came on the radio right now I would enjoy it. Probably more than I should!
Five
Five
960 posts

Oct 03, 2008, 19:59
re: white stripes

AMEN
medisin
medisin
31 posts

Oct 03, 2008, 20:36
Nick Cave
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Oct 03, 2008, 20:50
Lawrence wrote:
Gee we thought you liked everything!

actually depending on the board i find certain things overated, but in the great scheme of things i will listen to anything, however i am far choosier in what i choose to own
Nikinakinoo
Nikinakinoo
1281 posts

Oct 03, 2008, 21:22
Sting - I know you are not asking for solo artists but that is the first that sprang to mind.

I can't believe so many of you don't get The Doors. But I won't disappear in a huff.
wildswan89
wildswan89
111 posts

Oct 03, 2008, 22:15
some 70s soft rock bands like Bread and Ambrosia
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Oct 03, 2008, 23:46
What;s good about them?

8)
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Edited Oct 03, 2008, 23:53
Oct 03, 2008, 23:52
The Dave Matthews band.

It all sounds like soft-rock, "I'm a sensitive guy with a guitar" schmaltz to me.

It's not the worst of that species of music, but his giant popularity with the college kids is slightly baffling to me. But then again I'm woefully out of touch with most of what's happening in the music world as it exists for that age group.

EDIT: substitute 'Woeful' for 'Probably Thankfully'
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Edited Oct 04, 2008, 00:02
Oct 04, 2008, 00:02
There's just so many of them.

Of the classics, I must confess to never really getting Led Zeppelin (don't think they're awful or anything, but I just don't see the fuss). Also never got The Sex Pistols (though I like a lot of punk).

More recently, I went to see Iggy and The Stooges in Dublin over the summer. They were supported by two bands... Stiff Little Fingers (rocked like a rocking thing. Absolutely fantastic). And then there was 'The Kills'. Never in my life have I wanted a band to leave the stage as much as I wanted them off. Dreadful, insipid wank.
Mrs Ahab
Mrs Ahab
1138 posts

Oct 04, 2008, 00:08
yeah - and what a fucking stupid name, i think i'm gonna call my band knees or ancle.
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index