IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 03, 2008, 17:18
Re: Bands You Just Don't Get ...
Oct 03, 2008, 16:59
Stone Roses (bar one track)
Happy Mondays (bar two tracks)
New Order

would be the big three that are widely loved and yet consistently fail to crank my handle AND whose appeal I don't see.

There are lots of artists/acts I don't enjoy but whose virtues in the eyes of other people I can still understand.
Valve
Valve
1736 posts

Edited Oct 03, 2008, 17:11
Oct 03, 2008, 17:03
Goldfrapp

I’m aware they’re liked around these parts but I... just don’t get it.

BTW Can I just say in support of the Clash that all that Greatest Rock n Roll Band tosh was as much for the way they looked and the excitement of their live stuff than the records which I agree are kinda lame when you listen back apart from the first album which is just great.

I'd also support The Smiths but we don't want to get into that...
riotmaster
1563 posts

Oct 03, 2008, 17:05
Suicide

utter shite
Rockabilly
Rockabilly
206 posts

Oct 03, 2008, 17:14
Radiohead

I have tried to but I just don't get it.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Oct 03, 2008, 17:15
It's just down to the sound in the end isn't it?

It doesn't matter how many critical plaudits, whatever the politics, the 'importance', the 'cultural significance', and I'd argue, the lyrics* and all of the other peripheral gubbins that goes with music; if you don't like the actual 'sound they make' then thats it. People can bang on about a certain artists 'worth' til their faces explode but if you don't like the noise they're making then that's it.

Hence, for me, to name but two, Dylan and The Clash - the noise they make does nothing for me, apart from maybe irritate.

*again back to Dylan as an example. Yes, I am aware of, even admire, some of his wordsmithery. I'd just rather read 'em than listen to 'em.
Valve
Valve
1736 posts

Oct 03, 2008, 17:16
Oh I wouldn't go that far, I mean I don't like em but I'm not going to end it all because of some drama student in an Andy Pandy outfit ripping off T-Rex.
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Edited Oct 03, 2008, 17:52
Oct 03, 2008, 17:21
Blimey, they're the three that sprang to my mind too. Er, i haven't got a downer on Manchester BTW, it's probably related to E's and the fact i've never taken any. Was all partied out by 87/88 and into my domestic period !

And The Smiths for me too. I'll concede that Mozzer's written some great lyrics, only i prefer to read them than hear them.

Of course there's quite a few more to add to the list but those 4 are the ones others are surprised i don't appreciate.
sttomas
sttomas
1123 posts

Oct 03, 2008, 17:33
The Smiths
Joy Division
The Clash
The Fall
Nirvana
Pretty much anything in the charts...
Adman
Adman
157 posts

Oct 03, 2008, 17:40
Radiohead again
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Oct 03, 2008, 17:47
Oct 03, 2008, 17:45
Rockabilly wrote:
Radiohead

I have tried to but I just don't get it.

That's just it though innit? If you have to try too hard then it probably isn't for you. Not to say I haven't given stuff a 2nd listen, or come back to stuff I'd previously dismissed. As a teenage metal-head if you'd have told me I'd be listening to Madonna or something I'd have pissed in yer tea. Tastes evolve and some stuff takes a while to click. But if you're reeeeeally tryin, possibly for the wrong reasons too, then there comes a time where you have to say (in my case) "I Do Not Have A Big Bob Dylan Shaped Hole In My Life thank you very much!" cos there's simply stuff, new stuff even, that I'd rather hear than keep trying to like something I obviously don't like.

See also; carrots, cucumber, beetroot. ;^)
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index