The Clash. The Best band ever ?

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tinky10675
tinky10675
209 posts

Re: The Clash. The Best band ever ?
Jul 27, 2008, 16:14
Bonham best drummer of all time? Naw Neil Pert by far!
machineryelf
3681 posts

Jul 27, 2008, 16:17
ha ha , just posted a defence of the Stones, now to Jim & Bobs defence, Zep were way past the blues rip off stage by the time of LZ2, they had as they put the power, mystery and the hammer of the gods and were IMHO the greatest live rock band ever, way better than the Stones, Who or any other contender, even Hawkwind!
Fair enough i'm not gonna convince many , especially if you think big guitar rock is arse, each to his own, but in rock band stakes the Zep are the shit, except for Sabbath who made better albums but never hit the mark as well live IMHO
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

Jul 27, 2008, 16:38
i never liked 'em much at the time + have developed no fondness in intervening years .. sorry!
i was listening to rudimnetary peni's 1st LP the other day = now THERE was a band!
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Jul 28, 2008, 06:24
At one point I would have agreed, it always changes, they definitely tapped into the mythic whereas they became less of a British punk band, and a great American influenced band, that left most of their peers in the dust.

The Damned then picked up very capably where the Clash left off.
Wiggy
1696 posts

Jul 28, 2008, 10:05
What are the qualifiers for "best"? Influence? Ability? Emotional content/power? Or just "my favorite"?

If pushed I'd probably say The Jimi Hendrix Experience were the most important rock and roll band, but much as I love 'em, they're not my "favorite".

As for the Clash - Brilliant first album, and then I reckon you'd get a brilliant 2 sided compilation from all the rest of their stuff.
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Jul 28, 2008, 10:21
Best things about the Clash for me were....

1, Safe European Home, Complete Control, Deny, lots of Sandinista (Lose This Skin, Version City, Corner Soul, If Music Could Talk, Broadway, Shepherds Delight - all exceptional tracks).

2, Topper Headon - exceptional drummer and talented musician - without him - no Rock the Casbah or much stuff on Sandinista.

3, Blockheads helping out - no Norman Watt Roy, no Magnificent 7.

4, The likeable infallible chap that was Joe Strummer. Complicated, confused but with great spirit.

The worst thing about the Clash's legacy for me is the ongoing opinion that London Calling is a classic LP - its not - its a classic title track and the rest are fillers.

8)
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

Jul 28, 2008, 10:38
The avatar says it all.
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

Jul 28, 2008, 14:29
On that argument you could say the Sex Pistols did it in one album - but speaking as a music fan should - ie subjectively, illogically, with no rhyme or reason whatsoever

Joy Division -'cos I said so.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Jul 28, 2008, 17:34
Quintessential "college rock" band. The kind critics love. Plenty of good tunes here and there, but I've never really been able to listen to an entire album at a time.

Though ironically -- The Clash were The Beatles of punk, and I love the Beatles, but nonetheless much prefer the Sex Pistols (the Stones of punk) to the Clash (and I should be famous by now for my Stones-disdain!)

Though as far as I'm concerned "punk" didn't really hit its artistic peak until the 80's American indie scene. Black Flag and all those SST bands, now that's the real shit! (Just to let you know what type of hippie I am!)
keith a
9573 posts

Jul 28, 2008, 18:27
Punk was all but dead by the 80's.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index