The Clash. The Best band ever ?

Pages: 9 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Randlepmcmurphy
Randlepmcmurphy
30 posts

The Clash. The Best band ever ?
Jul 27, 2008, 01:23
I've loved this band for thirty years unconditially as far as i'm concerned they can do no wrong. I've seen them live, i've bought all their albums and watched all their videos and even now i still hear new shit every time i play their records. At the time of writing i am listening to 'London Calling' for the millionth time and it still throws up surprises . My wife tends to think that they were/are "ordinary" but i totally disagree. The Clash musicaly and lyrically pissed on all the other bands from their era (Pistols. Damned included) by constantly evolving. Now i know this place is full of hippies but my good friend and drinking partner Jim Tones thinks your a fair lot so i want to ask you the question The Clash. The Best band ever ?.......................... or someone else.. (This is a non Beatles thread)
tinky10675
tinky10675
209 posts

Re: The Clash. The Best band ever ?
Jul 27, 2008, 03:18
In my opinion the clash the best band ever? Hardly....Excluding the beatles makes this question impossible to answer for me at least. They would be my go to answer. Anything else is subjective to ones taste.To me maybe Early Pink floyd or Capitan beefheart and the magic band. I dunno but the Clash not by a long shot...at least not for me.
red paeony
red paeony
184 posts

Edited Jul 27, 2008, 04:40
Jul 27, 2008, 04:39
Randlepmcmurphy wrote:
... Now i know this place is full of hippies...

Good Lawd RandleP, that is one helluva qualifier! You'll get some stick for that one!

Nowthen,

I do like the early Clash very much, personally. White Riot, Police and Thieves, Safe European Home, are all great tracks. I like Give 'Em Enough Rope, but Black Market Clash is probably my favorite of anything by them. Armagideon Time, and their cover of Pressure Drop is better than the original.

But, the best band EVER? I'm not able to boil everything away in the musical soup of my life and pick just one band.

I remember, after they split and Big Audio Dynamite formed, thinking that you could then easily tell which tracks were written by Strummer, and which were by Jones.

Speaking of Jones...er, Tones, did you two make it down to The Mill tonight? I understand he's building up a tolerance for this coming weekends' birfday festivities. Sadly, I won't be there to make him his full breakfast or fetch him his paracetemol in the morning.

Oh, and they are a nice group 'round here ;-) x
tinky10675
tinky10675
209 posts

Jul 27, 2008, 05:10
WOW! I've been called ALOT of things on here (mostly bad things) But a Hippie? Guess I could do worse :)
earthlingfred93
1115 posts

Jul 27, 2008, 10:00
Nowhere near mate cos the Stones from the begiining up until Exile on main street ARE the greatest band of all time..cos lets face it, no Stones, then no 60's garage, no garage, no stooges / MC5 / New York dolls and therefore no Clash...The stones no matter what they represent today redefined rock in attitude, style and substances. It maybe an obvious choice because it's obvious that they are the best band EVER!!....c'mon they're so cool that they've has someoned murdered at the foot of their stage...

"c'mon people simmer down"
machineryelf
3681 posts

Edited Jul 27, 2008, 10:57
Jul 27, 2008, 10:13
whilst they never blew it with a comeback they did release ''Cut the Crap'', best band ever, not by a long shot, best punk band, maybe third after Magazine & Wire, oh no The Ramones have knocked them off the podium
All in all I'd say The Clash are very good, but never in the no1 position

Greatest band ever -old hippy alert[ish] Black Sabbath-up to Mob Rules.Then it does get a bit sloppy if the truth is to be told.

IMHO the greatest band ever qualitywise, as long as Spiggy stays locked in his cupboard in Dortmund is The Sisters of Mercy, 3 albums, a singles set and thats it, game set & match to the Sisters 100% topquality goods, not a duff track

oh shit! sorry Andrew Joy Division did it in 2 albums, then stopped in tragic circumstances, I give you Joy Division, the greatest band ever

edit or Neu! or the VU, the list is endless
naughtynige
naughtynige
778 posts

Jul 27, 2008, 10:15
Yes
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

Jul 27, 2008, 10:35
Quite possibly.
If not, definitely top 5 band material.

cheers
fitz
tinky10675
tinky10675
209 posts

Jul 27, 2008, 10:59
Got my Sisters Tattoo at 19! Great band wish they had more output.3 albums isn't much of a catalog.
keith a
9572 posts

Jul 27, 2008, 11:18
No! Most over-rated perhaps!

Careful Randle...That's what drinking with Tones does to ya! ; )

(I do like 'em though)
Pages: 9 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index