The Clash. The Best band ever ?

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: The Clash. The Best band ever ?
Jul 29, 2008, 00:03
I think the 80's was the highpoint of what you might call "DIY rock" -- how "punk" some of it was is debatable, but I know that when I was a kid Black Flag was the ULTIMATE hardcore punk band, and The Clash was basically Rolling Stone Magazine-approved classic rock for college kids. (I think a lot of the "London 1977" punk was more about fashion anyway. The best UK "punk" records were actually made a couple years later -- Gang of Four, Wire, Joy Division . . . )
the copefreak
36 posts

Jul 29, 2008, 07:27
No for me it has to be The Teardrop Explodes. Julian is a song writing Genius. With the likes of the Culture bunker, Treason, Rachel built a steamboat. then solo tracks WSYM, Torch, Torpedeo, Raynard the fox, Fear loves this place and many more. Yes The Clash did write Know your rights, Call Up, and Hitsville UK. But then Mac of the bunnymen has wrote some good songs too(not Killing moon) Silver, Way out and up we go, Back of love and Never stop( he may be an arse at the moment so I've been told aledgedly) but still good.
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

Jul 29, 2008, 07:48
Totally agree with The Damned comment!

Folk keep harping on about how The Clash evolved and experimented but it's not a patch on what The Damned made and achieved.

Put Londons Calling at the side of MGE/The Black Album or Combat Rock beside Strawberries!

NO CONTEST! The Damned win hands down.

You're also correct in stating that Grave Disorder is a fantastic album.

Any ideas when the new album is due?

It's been far too long.
the copefreak
36 posts

Jul 29, 2008, 08:08
Punk has many Guises MC5, Thirteenth Floor Elevators were mentioned buy many 70's punk bands as the reason they formed. John Lydon mentions in his book that many from that scene went to gay and reggae clubs to avoid the hassle and liked the music.

Later punk bands ie the OI! stuff was different again then you also had The Exploited and also Crass.

Then there is all the 70's us bands Ramones, Blondie different again. After that america gave us blink 182, Green day.

Now you have the likes of Brain Donor , Djervara, The Heads, who may have a metalish sound but align them selves with punk. Also you have new British bands Miss Black America (on hiatus) now Ten City Nation, The Gallows who teamed up with leathal Bizzal and america have Anti Flag, Avenge Seven Fold and many more.

I know I have missed some bands out and not even mentioned Grunge who formed from hearing 70's punk/80's indie. but punk is a very diverse term
riotmaster
1563 posts

Jul 29, 2008, 08:56
especially if they're shit at it
riotmaster
1563 posts

Jul 29, 2008, 08:58
the copefreak wrote:
Now you have the likes of Brain Donor, The Heads

i've never thought of either of them as even remotely 'punk' personally
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Edited Jul 29, 2008, 10:40
Jul 29, 2008, 10:32
riotmaster wrote:

especially if they're shit at it

Steel Pulse, Aswad, Police, UB40, Misty, Black Slate, Matumbi cruise ship dross masquerading as socially relevant.
the copefreak
36 posts

Jul 29, 2008, 10:53
riotmaster wrote:

the copefreak wrote:
Now you have the likes of Brain Donor, The Heads

i've never thought of either of them as even remotely 'punk' personally

Well Julian told me he Regarded Brain Donor as a punk band akin to the MC5 and The Stooges and the heads have covered MC5 are they not more garage punk than anything else.
riotmaster
1563 posts

Jul 29, 2008, 11:11
what someone 'wants' to be, and what they actually are are two very different things though aren't they ?
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

Edited Jul 29, 2008, 11:41
Jul 29, 2008, 11:38
" i mean honestly all the people who voted for Joy Division would you honestly want to be in that band. Who wants to go to bed at half ten on a friday night with a book of poetry and a cup of Ovaltine i mean honestly!!!!."

Ho hum.....
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index