The pop of today

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
marinade
marinade
306 posts

Re: The pop of today
Feb 26, 2008, 21:51
Actual pop: Girls Aloud, as said a couple of times above, have released some fantastic singles. The battle a few years back between the folks behind Christina Aguilera, Britney and Destiny's Child to produce cutting edge hooky pop records led to some great singles coming out too.

Candie Paynes album last year was really good and should have got the attention now being afforded to Duffy.

On the indie side: as ever, British Sea Power.
tinky10675
tinky10675
209 posts

Feb 26, 2008, 23:58
Pop music is the cotton candy of every generation sure its bad for your teeth but sometimes it tastes soo good! Justin timberlake and Sean Kingston as well as Alan Thicke are all good at the craft of bubble gum.It has its place not all music needs to move you spiritually in my opinion.Oh and lest we forget Tay Zonda!! Look him up on you tube if you've never heard Chocolate Rain(or live in a cave)
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Curmudgeon, but it's the economics of media
Feb 27, 2008, 01:32
Didn't Aaliyah die, like, ten years ago? She was hooked up with Missy & Timbaland, so her stuff didn't totally suck. I was still hearing pop I liked as recently as about 2002.

I don't really make any distinction between the "pop" and "popular rock" -- which is to say, I wouldn't call Nickleback (or whoever) a "rock band" but rather a "pop group with a rock image." Same for skate-punk (Blink 182), emo (My Favorite Dashboard, Tomorrow's Fiercer Breakfast*), and most rap (50 Cent, Ying Yang Twins, etc.)

It seems to me that the "actual rock genres" like punk, metal, rap, reaggae, etc. are primarily defined by allegiance to subculture codes ("real metal" bands don't do ballads, etc.) -- though the surface appearances are easily appropriated as pop imagery (but just cuz Pat Boone once did a metal album doesn't make him "metal"!)

Subcultures happen outside of the mainstream media almost by definition -- and once the media picks up on them, they aren't subgenres anymore (as soon as the 80's underground thing was packaged as "grunge", complete with official uniforms and slang, it was OVER.)

Seems to me the historia de la rock is mostly a story of different subgenres bubbling out of the promordial pool of music to replace/revitalize/transform those that came before. 70's punk is partly inspired by glam which fed off of garage rock which fed off of old timey 50's rock; in turn the 70's punk inspire the 80's indie scene which leads to grunge and eventually reachs maximum commidification as the soundtrack for skateboard promotions (Blink 182 et al! No longer a musical subgenre, now just another "pop image.")

I can't think of anything "new" in popular music or "rock" since the grunge/rave/hiphop trifecta in the 90's. If something's been happening lately that I missed, please fill me in!

* if nothing else the emo movement provides endless fun making up fake band names!
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Feb 27, 2008, 02:26
Pop music use to be the domain of AM radio, great catchy songs (Hollies, CCR, Elton John), great commercial soul music(Spinners, Ojays, Motown, Philly) .

Am radio is a waste land ready for revival, soul music is gone for programmed beats of r&b.

Still a great song is a great song.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Feb 27, 2008, 02:45
Of course AM radio has been taken over by loudmouthed right-wing talk-show hosts. Not any fun at all...
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Feb 27, 2008, 03:01
Hmmm. I suspect you may be right.

Step-dad rock.

Someone once told me that chill out music was Val Doonican for the 21st century. That made me smile with it's acuity too.

I'll go and put the cat out.
Shelby Mustang
Shelby Mustang
605 posts

Feb 27, 2008, 07:07
THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE CHARTS NOW OR RECENTLY. sorry i was just shouting about earthquakes to amazon. yeah' i dunno who it's by or what it's called because - and i'm not meaning to sound cool and affected - pop music holds me in about as much thrall as figure skating does, but anyway, it's got i think a human league riff running under it and i heard it in a hifi shop and it was rather chinkly chink produced as in not only could you hear a needle drop but judging by its clatter you could tell which foundry in sheffield it came from. i rather liked that and also the old gary numan stuff mixed into that divvy girl band stuff, but i love gary numan so i would wouldn't i?
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Feb 27, 2008, 09:06
I really don't buy all this 50s/60s pastiche stuff that's going about right now, infact it irritates me a bit. Got as much 'soul' as bloody Pop Idol. Same stuff to me.
Joss Stone was the worst - even started speaking with a Southern droll (she is from the South - Cornwall or thereabouts not bloody Memphis!) the silly mare.

Anyway as much mentioned The Sugababes did their stuff well.

Like too this Kelis tune 'Lil' Star' - which was sort of Sly pastiche but updated for the 2000s so still a bit original.

Nelly Furtado's 'Say It Right' (rather recent) was great - coz of Timbaland's magic production skills.

But for me the best pure pop of late (2004-ish) was Annie's 'Anniemal' (a full album!)
A Norweigan girl, there's a wonderfully subversive little tune with the metaphor of chewing and spitting out boys like their 'chewing gum' (name of the song) running all the way through. Sounds great too.
Woefully ignored.

Infact, there's always been some pop tune or other that's grabbed my attention.

x
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Feb 27, 2008, 11:02
Outkast - Hey ya
Kelis & the fella out of Outkast - Millionaire
Kelis - Milkshake

I know these are a bit old now but they're very very good.

x
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Feb 27, 2008, 11:33
That Robyn record is fantastic. It makes no real structural sense. but also makes perfect sense. Or something.

There's a production/writing team that works with Girls Aloud and the Sugababes that are brilliant. Dunno who, though. Shame about the squawking neds on top, though.

The thing that bothers me the most about pop records is the accepted standard of affectation in vocals. How many times do you think "you don't sing like that naturally"?
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index