Re: The pop of today
Feb 27, 2008, 17:43
Hmm, definitely gonna check out her album now
the dude
the dude
312 posts

Feb 27, 2008, 19:49
pop music has always been the same good n bad,every era,mostly bad however, thats why its popular, good stuff always an adventure to find
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Feb 27, 2008, 19:55
anthonyqkiernan wrote:
That Robyn record is fantastic. It makes no real structural sense. but also makes perfect sense. Or something.

There's a production/writing team that works with Girls Aloud and the Sugababes that are brilliant. Dunno who, though. Shame about the squawking neds on top, though.
"?

I shall seek the Robyn thing out then.

Is that production lot you mentioned called Xenomania perchance? I've heard they're producing the next Franz Ferdinand album which might be interesting.
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

Feb 27, 2008, 20:57
Lawrence wrote:
How about when R&B singers overemote to the point that they sound like they have constipation or something?

but lawrence, you like power electronics - surely you can appreciate that?
Lawrence
9547 posts

Feb 27, 2008, 23:47
LOL! Well yeah... I guess that makes me a hypocrite, although I hear William Bennett likes Britney(!)

Of course if I'm listening to a soul song I should expect good singing, NOT half-assed attempts at singing...
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Feb 28, 2008, 03:06
dave clarkson wrote:
...i like the novelty type pop records and the more annoying the better but there doesn't seem to be anything in recent years like 'the birdy song' or 'doop' or anything daft.

What about The Cheeky Girls? I thought that song was the most brilliantly daft pop song for ages when it came out. So much so I actually bought it.
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Feb 28, 2008, 03:26
singingringingtree wrote:
y'know, formulas + production lines can be GOOD, when the ethos is on doing something NEW

I agree with you there. It really annoys me that whenever Pete Waterman is on TV justifying what The Hit Factory did in the late 80's/early 90's he always says Motown's production-line ethos was a big influence. But misses the point that they still created quality, whereas the SAW stuff is all truly awful crud that never pushed any boundaries whatsoever and just used the same crappy preset synth sounds over and over again. It'll just sound more and more dated and horribly of its time in a way that Motown stuff transcends due to its real artistry.
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

Feb 28, 2008, 10:20
yeah, but i really love "you spin me round" by dead or alive!
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Feb 28, 2008, 10:44
A quick google suggests that they are indeed. Yeah, now you mention it I'd heard the FF thing. Could be interesting.

Apparently they did lot's of work with St Etienne.
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Edited Feb 28, 2008, 14:47
Feb 28, 2008, 14:44
Yeah that record is something else entirely. A bit of a 'Can't Get You Out Of My Head' of its time. The fact that it wasn't actually written by SAW had a lot to do with it. I actually walked past Pete Burns in town last week. He's a really imposing presence.
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index