The pop of today

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Re: The pop of today
Feb 26, 2008, 17:44
i think i can cope with Animal Collective these days too. Found it unlistenable at first
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Feb 26, 2008, 17:50
And Groove Armada for that matter too - although i didn't really like that single with Mutya. Didn't seem to have anything about it at all. Yeah Basement Jaxx have done some great singles. Fat Boy Slim has done the odd good single too, like that bird of prey song sampling some forgotten Jim Morrison track, and of course right here right now
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Feb 26, 2008, 17:52
oh, that's who fedde la grande is.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Feb 26, 2008, 17:56
gorillaz are great. Dare and dirty harry particularly. Great production by some French bloke that i could try guessing... something like Jack le comte?
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Feb 26, 2008, 18:13
Curmudgeon, but it's the economics of media
Feb 26, 2008, 17:58
(Didn't mean to be specifically responding to PMM's comment, accidentally posted this up here!)

That song by The Darkness from a few years back was pretty funny. Before that, Missy Elliot had a good run of hits. Gorillaz had a couple catchy tunes, though I wonder how much of their appeal is based on the cartoons.

But really everything I hear that passes for current pop over the last decade or so sounds like a rehash of something from the past. I think the nostalgia cycle finally caught up with itself in the early 2000's -- the snake that was eating its own tail disappeared up its own butt, so to speak.

The truth is there is no "mainstream music media" anymore -- radio stations focus on very specific demographics (hard rock for males 18-29, soft ballads for female office workers, etc.) MTV had taken over for top 40 radio in the 80's, but by the 90's the videos were replaced by teen dating shows and the like. "Narrowcasting" replaced "broadcasting."

In fact the main place I am exposed to "current pop" these days is -- television commercials!! Apparently advertising is the new top 40!
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Feb 26, 2008, 18:06
Yeah, lily allen has done some good work. Can't say i'm too keen on that programme of hers on bbc3 though - Lily Allen and friends. Sums up the crapper side of the zeitgeist that might be around at the moment like the audience consisting of some of her My Space friends and showing animals fucking on Youtube

Take that, absolutely. Rule the world and shine too
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Feb 26, 2008, 18:07
I would have to agree. Have no time for Leona Lewis
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Feb 26, 2008, 18:10
Cheers for the reassurance, i needed it. I'll cancel the botox and nip and tuck appointments now (but not the liposuction ) ;-)
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

Re: Curmudgeon, but it's the economics of media
Feb 26, 2008, 19:37
Dog 3000 wrote:

But really everything I hear that passes for current pop over the last decade or so sounds like a rehash of something from the past.

ditto "current rock" (apart from some black metal, probably) w/ bells on ... most of the curmudgenliness seems aimed at stupid pop music (y'know, "girls' stuff"), whereas people seem much more forgiving of REALLY retro rock music (that's "boys' stuff") ... anyway, did you ever hear "try again" by aaliyah? modern as fuck, w/ no rehash vibe at all ... real pity there aren't a million songs w./ that level of invention + strangeness, but ...
Sir John Dunn
Sir John Dunn
530 posts

Feb 26, 2008, 20:32
Despite its obvious resemblance to Shot By Both Sides, the geetar intro to I Predict A Riot never fails to get my ol' heart pumping a little faster.

Deal with it, cowboys. Every space cadet has a soft spot, mine's an off-the-beaten-track swamp on the outskirts of Dagenham.
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index