FfROM LAST YEAR...

ICE CREAM - New Young Pony Club

LET ME THINK ABOUT IT – Ida Corre Vs Fedde Le Grand

RUBY – Kaiser Chiefs

STRONGER - Kanye West

SWEET ESCAPE - Gwen Stefani

FROM NOW...

MERCY - Duffy
Saw her on Jonathan Ross the other week. Great pop 45!
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Re: The pop of today
Feb 26, 2008, 11:01
1 thing & Crazy in Love - ace, obviously.

I don't know the names of her songs but I heard the Robyn album in a friend's car the other day. Some, but not all, of it was really good.

Gwen Stefani - from MTV rock rubbish with No Doubt to the Sweet Escape, Hollaback Girl and (although not many will agree with me) Cool. What a transformation.

If only Just Jack (just that name makes me feel violent), Kate Nash and the like would fuck off the charts would be alright.

x
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Feb 26, 2008, 11:02
MIA - Boys. Oh yes! Not heard the album yet though.

x
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

Feb 26, 2008, 11:07
BASEMENT JAXX!!!
Mr Sals
162 posts

Feb 26, 2008, 11:21
I must admit having a soft spot for Amerie - One Thing. I thought the rhythm was amazing. Then i realised it was a sample from The Meters, which explained everything to me. You can't beat Ziggy Modeliste for amazing rhythm.

Apart from that i can't think of any pop in the last ten years that i particularly liked.

Saying that i don't really listen to anything that would play pop.
Eduardo
Eduardo
375 posts

Feb 26, 2008, 11:29
I quite like peurile american skate-punk stuff like Blink 182 Bowling for Soup & Bloodhound gang. Even some Green day & GOod Charlotte.

And Princess Superstar, some of Fedde le Grande's remixes (most things with a pervy video! That one with trumpet-playing girls in green soldier suits was quite arty!), Moloko, Goldfrapp.

Don't like that dadrock stuff someone mentioned earlier in the thread. Its like modern AOR stuff, yeuch, nasty. Nippleback are irritating me at the moment as it 'appens.
Beautiful Day
Beautiful Day
779 posts

Feb 26, 2008, 11:33
Goldfrapp and Ladytron are a couple that spring to mind
joudicca
joudicca
360 posts

Feb 26, 2008, 11:35
hot chip and reverend and the makers, the zutons were ok
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

Edited Feb 26, 2008, 11:55
Feb 26, 2008, 11:54
The Zutons, The coral, Kaiser Chiefs, gorillaz,Graham Coxon,Young Knives,....gad I could go on all day...what I am saying here is that there are loads & loads of great pop acts out there! If u can be open minded enough to have a look!

(((pop fan)))
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Feb 26, 2008, 12:21
Just checked out the top 40 and don't recognise many of them though probably know them if I heard them. Can't pin any names on pop stuff as i'm generally not interested in it but i like the novelty type pop records and the more annoying the better but there doesn't seem to be anything in recent years like 'the birdy song' or 'doop' or anything daft. Can't stand the shit that's around at the moment like The Feeling or that record about Elvis is Dead.

Arctic Monkeys, Zutons, Libertines, Amy Winehouse, Snoop Dogg and Sugarbabes are the only pop things that come to mind in recent years that I've enjoyed.

8)
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index