The pop of today

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Re: The pop of today
Feb 27, 2008, 11:50
anthonyqkiernan wrote:

The thing that bothers me the most about pop records is the accepted standard of affectation in vocals. How many times do you think "you don't sing like that naturally"?

Worse of that is the 'melisma' syndrome.
Whitney Houston was amongst the originators and then Mariah Carey took it to whole new dizzying depths , but then I think it's rec execs telling 'em 'ok, this is how emotion works, go sound 'emotional' for me. As I mentioned Joss Stone trying to do the Memphis soul vocal (and sounding like she was gagging on castor oil in the process) was just stupid beyond belief.
We tend not to accept or at least court insincerity from the people we meet so I think that's why it grates so much.

x
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Feb 27, 2008, 12:29
...heh heh - all that affected singing is pretty annoying but I guess it's all part of pop music escapism and belongs there. If pop music wasn't annoying in some way, we'd all be listening to it and dancing round the room instead of seeking alternatives. Still, could be worse - I'd sooner listen to some of the pop stars warbling their tonsils than some of the more alternative vocalists like Captain Beefheart or Tom Waits who I once enjoyed listening to but must admit find incredibly irritating these days. Now - Ian Brown - there's a good singer.

8)
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Feb 27, 2008, 12:56
nelly furtado, yeah, i forgot about that one. Great song. That Justin Timberlake song what goes around comes around is quite catchy too. Did Timberland produce that?
Valve
Valve
1736 posts

Feb 27, 2008, 13:08
dave clarkson wrote:
Tom Waits who I once enjoyed listening to but must admit find incredibly irritating these days
8)

Ha. I'm with you there. I love Tom Waits but his voice has got progressively growly until he sounds like a parody of himself. You feel like saying "Tom! For fucksake, clear yer throat, get a drink of somthing, and we'll start again"

There's a Zimbabwean singer, Oliver Mtukudzi who on his records of a few years back has a good cough at the start of each track, proper grollies up, has a little chuckle to himself and then starts singing. I love that.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Feb 27, 2008, 13:58
Valve wrote:
There's a Zimbabwean singer, Oliver Mtukudzi who on his records of a few years back has a good cough at the start of each track, proper grollies up, has a little chuckle to himself and then starts singing. I love that.

Splendid! However, I'm going to disappoint you and Dave by saying I'd rather listen to Capt B or Tom W anyday rather than five minutes of stuff from the poptastic charts of today. In fact, I'd rather listen to Capt B while having my teeth filled and my nostrils sanded than that. But then, as I said elsewhere, I'm getting old!
keith a
9572 posts

Feb 27, 2008, 14:00
If you haven't heard the Panda Bear album, then check it out, JB. It's great, much better than anything I've heard by Animal Collective (yeah, I know the connection).
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Feb 27, 2008, 15:38
anthonyqkiernan wrote:
The thing that bothers me the most about pop records is the accepted standard of affectation in vocals. How many times do you think "you don't sing like that naturally"?

In soul music, this has become an almost standard approach to singing for female vocalists... Packing 4 or 5 octaves into EVERY LINE, cooing & fluttering all over the damn place. Horrible abuse of the craft.
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

Feb 27, 2008, 15:41
Ach well...tiz only pop. I can take it or leave it. Mostly I leave it...but there u go.
8)
Lawrence
9547 posts

Edited Feb 27, 2008, 16:13
Feb 27, 2008, 16:13
How about when R&B singers overemote to the point that they sound like they have constipation or something?
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

Feb 27, 2008, 16:46
In my opinion, last years That's not my name by the Ting Tings is just about as good as it gets when it comes to pop music.
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index