The pop of today

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re: The pop of today
Feb 26, 2008, 15:26
I have an almost cloistered non-awareness of what's going on with pop music. I don't listen to commercial radio.

I hear some stuff on the TV that I don't recognize and usually don't like...
There's an awful lot of this Dave Matthews-whispery male vocal-syrupy groupiefuck drek out there. It's frequently used to underscore the emotional bits in bad TV dramas.

To my ear, most of the pop nowadays has been written by a scientific team of statisticians who are formulating ever more cliché-bound product for a consumer that exists as a demographic model in a computer program.

Remember when pop music was weird and fresh? It was often quite bad, of course, but the homogenized, soulless, corporate pop pap of today makes that old stuff sound great in comparison, at least for novelty value (and where have the novelty songs gone, for that matter?)
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

Feb 26, 2008, 15:28
gorillaz?

*O)
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Feb 26, 2008, 15:34
a bit boring. OK I suppose.

not very good at this, am I?
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Feb 26, 2008, 15:52
Feb 26, 2008, 15:49
Gorillaz

I wanna hear the Robyn album after hearing the singles although I saw a load of posters advertising the last single and from a distance it looked like an ad for the Hitler Youth - I was half expecting the song to be called "Tomorrow Belongs To Me"

Some of Kylie's songs are splendid and I've got the "Body Language" album which is electropoptastic.

Lots of Madonna - esp. the last few albums

Don't own any but I think Girls Aloud have some great singles.

I thought Patience by Take That was a great, hook laden thing.

Kasier Chiefs singles have been good.

Goldfrapp I like!

Amy Winehouse has some belters and, when she's not off her face, is good live too.

Lily Allen - she may annoy for England but I like some of the tunes - Smile is great - and I like the iron fist in a velvet glove lyrics.

Toxic by Britney is cool and the odd Gwen Stefani track I like.

Crazy in Love by boingy Beyonce.
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

Feb 26, 2008, 16:02
handofdave wrote:
To my ear, most of the pop nowadays has been written by a scientific team of statisticians who are formulating ever more cliché-bound product for a consumer that exists as a demographic model in a computer program.

you cd be talking about motown or phil spector there too, mind ... story of phil spector playing someone or other his new, unreleased record (cd've been "and then he kissed me") - they asked him what that incredible persussion noise was + he replied "that's the sound of a million cash registers" or something like that ... y'know, formulas + production lines can be GOOD, when the ethos is on doing something NEW, altho i'd prob agree w/ you that most of it is crap right now
Eduardo
Eduardo
375 posts

Feb 26, 2008, 16:19
I can't forgive anything that started life on Pop Idol (or it's ilk). There's no excuse for it. Apart from nice Myleene Class.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Feb 26, 2008, 16:24
So much of today's pop is as innocuous as a McDonald's hamburger.
keith a
9570 posts

Feb 26, 2008, 16:28
I meant you didn't look that old, Bubbles. It was that nasty Vybik who twisted my well-intentioned message.

; )
Lawrence
9547 posts

Feb 26, 2008, 16:28
handofdave wrote:

I hear some stuff on the TV that I don't recognize and usually don't like...
There's an awful lot of this Dave Matthews-whispery male vocal-syrupy groupiefuck drek out there. It's frequently used to underscore the emotional bits in bad TV dramas.

I know exactly what yr talking about. I hate that kind of pretty-boy whispery stuff. Especially the Goo Goo Dolls...
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Feb 26, 2008, 17:40
i really liked that Gwen Stefani single that i think had a nilsson sample, and went " bananas, b a n a n a s..." What you waiting for was ok too.
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index