Unsung Forum »
Doors vs Joy Division

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
philiph20
80 posts

Re: Doors vs Joy Division
Dec 15, 2007, 14:56
Really interesting points there Ian. Having lived in Manchester all my life this whole scene has been rammed down our throats since the so called "summer of love", personally hated all that Hacienda stuff and The Roses, along with Joy Division my two favourite Manchester bands are The Smiths who had no aprt in that scene even though they had just split and Mark E Smith actually moved up to Edinburgh to escape i believe because he hated it all, this so called Manchester scene was and still is very parochial and cliquey and in my opinion vastly overated.
philiph20
80 posts

Dec 15, 2007, 14:57
I think the Doors were supported by Jefferson Airplane which would have been some show.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Dec 15, 2007, 17:40
Dec 15, 2007, 15:08
Whilst I personally enjoy the music of both bands equally, I prefer Ian Curtis' lyrics to Jim Morrison's - although in some respects they're both pretty adolescent, Curtis' are more down to earth, less overblown and riddled with cliched metaphors.

It seems to me that the Oliver Stone biopic did the Doors' credibility more harm than good. After being revered for decades, the current generation doesn't seem to rate them all that much.

And as for the 21st Century Doors with Ian Astbury ... that was one re-union I avoided like the plague. Never could stand the Cult, or Death Cult or even Southern Death Cult for that matter. He was probably the worst choice they could have made as a replacement for Jimbo IMO.
philiph20
80 posts

Dec 15, 2007, 15:11
He does look like him though :-)
postyesterdayman
postyesterdayman
931 posts

Dec 15, 2007, 15:15
I have to say, Big Star deserve their status imo...their first 2 records were great, especially 'Radio City', which was brilliant. And the Doors were already broken up when ol' Jimbo met the almighty in the tub, so obviously their best work was behind them!
postyesterdayman
postyesterdayman
931 posts

Dec 15, 2007, 15:18
oh yeah, and New Order is one of those bands I have never 'got' either...I just don't see the appeal...I mean if you like synthpop, ok, go for it, but on a wider level, I don't get it...and I have Power, Corruption and Lies, Republic, and the double disc white covered one (?)...so I have heard a bit of it.
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Edited Dec 15, 2007, 15:46
Dec 15, 2007, 15:43
The Doors unique instrumental approach and lack of presence in the UK seems to have given them an air of mystery/exoticness that had influence on the postpunk/neo-psych of WAH, Teardrops, Echo, Joy Division, Doll By Doll, Psych Furs, Stranglers. But past that moment the Doors influence receded.

New Order and Style Council kinda marked the same retreat from where their parent bands were headed.

{anyone ever heard the 1975 Asheton Bros related New Order?}
keith a
9573 posts

Dec 15, 2007, 17:18
IanB wrote:
[quote="philiph20"]

Not sure NO ever got beyond their influences.

Can't see that at all, Ian.

Regardless of whether you like NO or not, surely you can spot a NO record from miles away. They may have had their influences - but who hasn't? - but thy ended up with their own unmistakeable sound.
keith a
9573 posts

Dec 15, 2007, 17:21
They might have had more than their fair share of wet-yer-pants press, but a Stone Roses festival gig got one of the biggest slatings I've ever read. A truly reviled gig!!

(Not much of a SR fan myself - though I love Fools Gold - but I reckon Brown has made some decent solo singles)
keith a
9573 posts

Dec 15, 2007, 17:25
The Doors movie and all the in-yer-face publicity sort of shattered their cult-like 80's following. Don't think their reputation has ever recovered in a way. Shame - I think they're great. But as for who's the best - what's the point? They're two great bands from two different era's - why have to choose?
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index