Doors vs Joy Division

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Dec 15, 2007, 17:44
Re: Doors vs Joy Division
Dec 15, 2007, 17:43
That was the two Roundhouse shows. General concensus from the time seems to have been that the Doors upstaged the Airplane completely, but as I wasn't even born then I'm not in a position to offer a first-hand opinion!

Spookily enough, just as I read your post, JA's "Eskimo Blue Day" cropped up on random on my MP3 player.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Dec 15, 2007, 18:03
Oh I really like the first two Big Star records but only in the same way that I like the first three Cheap Trick records and "The Wondermints" and the debut Charlotte Hathersley album. Quality power pop for sure.

The Alex Chilton as unsung genius thing is a bit rich though and the raising of the third album to the status of critical touchstone is just plain bizarre. The Chris Bell solo record is much much better to my ears.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Dec 15, 2007, 18:04
Fair enough I think it is probably 25 years of having them rammed down our throats by the music press that has done them in for me. That and the singing.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Dec 15, 2007, 18:06
Oh sorry I wasn't saying I saw The Doors at The Roundhouse (I was waaaay too young) just that I used to go there a lot in the pre Punk era to watch whoever was on.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Dec 15, 2007, 18:20
That's interesting hearing it from an insider.

The London music slavish press obsession with Manchester from 1982ish to 1992 really got under my skin as I could never see how the music stacked up against the press it got. To be fair when the NME were slobbering all over Ze Records and the Club For Heroes scene in London it was the same thing.

My disdain for The Smiths masks the fact that I bought a lot of their records at the time but I could never love them the way I love Magazine. The endless hype, misanthropy and solipsism just get in the way.

I've a lot of time for Mark E Smith as a writer and The Fall are just one of those rare bands apart from everything else, occupying their own time zone and making some astonishing music along the way but I never think of them coming from anywhere in particular. Like Magma!
keith a
9573 posts

Dec 15, 2007, 19:27
Hmm...yes...the singing...

I always thought they should have got Paul Haig in. After seeing The Crispy Ambulance last week, I think they maybe should have got alan Hempsall in.
red peony
red peony
645 posts

Dec 16, 2007, 01:50
Fool's Gold IS a great track, and I can still listen to that first album with joy!

I have The Stone Roses ~ Live at Blackpool, and it is one of the worst gig's I've ever heard. Ian Brown is wildly out of tune, and really, the boy just cannot sing. Wonder what they did in the studio to make him sound decent?!

;-) x
supercat
supercat
4257 posts

Dec 16, 2007, 08:28
( Scroll down to The Stooges end again, section)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stooges

That's a new one on me.

I've never felt anything for The Doors (sorry, Shelby). x
philiph20
80 posts

Dec 16, 2007, 08:50
If Pete Best is the unluckiest person in pop music then Ian Brown has to be the luckiest, seldom has anyone so devoid of toilet been revered by the likes of the NME and other fawning music journalists.
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

Dec 16, 2007, 09:45
Always dismissed the Doors as 'musicians', whereas JD could harness a great tune from the instruments they picked up!
:o)
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index