Unsung Forum »
Doors vs Joy Division

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Re: Doors vs Joy Division
Dec 17, 2007, 12:40
"Mark E Smith actually moved up to Edinburgh to escape i believe because he hated it all, this so called Manchester scene"

...though he found time to make a record with Inspiral Carpets!

8)
Wiggy
1696 posts

Dec 17, 2007, 13:25
I'm with you as well.
I saw New Order at Chippenham Gold Diggers around 1984/5 - a total crock!
I still think Blue Monday is a great record (and tend to think of it as the last Joy Division record even though Curtis was gone), and "Murder" was pretty good, but the the rest is awful and they were dire live.
Never liked The Stone Roses either - people forget that most of their songs were twee little sub c86 pop efforts - the kind of stuff The Bodines did 10 times better - they just got lucky with Fools Gold.
Still Think Happy Mondays were special though - saw 'em support James at Bristol Bierkeller in the late 80's - they really were something to behold.
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

Dec 17, 2007, 13:40
Re New Order - funnily enough the best time I saw them live was the last time - Wembley Arena last year. The last two albums have been pretty shoddy and Bernard's lyrics can be excruciatingly poor.

They've had their moments - but JD were by far the better incarnation.

Still - they're both better than Warsaw!
keith a
9573 posts

Re: Break on thru to the mince pies
Dec 17, 2007, 14:13
If I was able to bring a smile to someone's face whilst they are listening to Rainbow Rising, then that is a truly amazing achievement.

I feel like a missionary might...

; )
keith a
9573 posts

Dec 17, 2007, 14:14
The 'why have to choose?' question wasn't aimed at you, Tom, it was referring to the thread topic, sorry.
keith a
9573 posts

Dec 17, 2007, 14:23
I heard Sunrise on my ipod yesterday. Sounded great - and though Barney's vocals are ok on it, I found myself trying to imagine what it would have sounded like with Curtis on it. Would have been a great JD track!
sttomas
sttomas
1123 posts

Dec 17, 2007, 14:29
s'ok, wasn't moaning!!
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Dec 17, 2007, 15:06
Yeah it would have sounded great with IC on vocals. So would half of power corruption and lies and temptation. Always thought Procession was a great track too.

8)
Shelby Mustang
Shelby Mustang
605 posts

Dec 17, 2007, 20:17
wherever there's a darkened doorway you'll find 'em lurking.

they'll never not be an influence on rock and certainly are a far grander influence than Joy Division.

not knocking them or their memory i think they were great. s'just the doors were better
red peony
red peony
645 posts

Dec 17, 2007, 20:25
So where's the Elevator Doors figure into all this, Shels?!

tick tock tick tock, we're waiting!

;-D x
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index