Doors vs Joy Division

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Re: Doors vs Joy Division
Dec 16, 2007, 17:57
Both The Doors and Joy Division stood out at their times. They were non guitar dominated bands. Singers were very important, hence lyrics too.

Joy Division took the instrument the Doors didn't have, bass, and made it prominent in their sound.

Manzarek's virtuosity anchored the band, his transposition of Coltrane's "Favorite Things" into "Light My Fire" along with Paul Butterfield's "East West" open up rock music.
coldrumhead
608 posts

Dec 16, 2007, 18:10
zphage wrote:
Both The Doors and Joy Division stood out at their times. They were non guitar dominated bands. Singers were very important, hence lyrics too.

Joy Division took the instrument the Doors didn't have, bass, and made it prominent in their sound.

Manzarek's virtuosity anchored the band, his transposition of Coltrane's "Favorite Things" into "Light My Fire" along with Paul Butterfield's "East West" open up rock music.

Relevance now?
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Dec 16, 2007, 18:19
Relevance now is that it is the past upon which where we are now is built, for better, for worse.

The level of musicianship has definitely dropped so stretching out is pointless.

Yet right now along with Gang of Four's angularity, Joy Division's hauntiness is in vogue/ascendency.
coldrumhead
608 posts

Dec 16, 2007, 18:26
[quote="zphage"]Relevance now is that it is the past upon which where we are now is built, for better, for worse.

The level of musicianship has definitely dropped so stretching out is pointless.

Yet right now along with Gang of Four's angularity, Joy Division's hauntiness is in vogue/ascendency.[/quote=

Joy Division?Without the production of the late Martin Hannett?
keith a
9573 posts

Re: Break on thru to the mince pies
Dec 16, 2007, 18:30
Yes, we're more interested in shite metal bands here.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Re: Break on thru to the mince pies
Dec 17, 2007, 11:20
Touché! I was actually half way through Rainbow Rising on reading this so that really brought a smile to my face.
sttomas
sttomas
1123 posts

Dec 17, 2007, 11:54
Not choosing, I've never liked JD so a lot of stuff I can't really comment on.

Agree with the Doors film though, should never have been made really, but I suppose it did allow for a lot of new younger listeners.
Eduardo
Eduardo
375 posts

Dec 17, 2007, 11:57
Hear a snippet of NO somewhere & it sounds great - like intro to Thieves Like Us accompanying Molly Ringwald butchering a dress in Pretty in Pink frinstance. But go home & dig the record out & it soon wears thin, usually when Bernard starts his singing.

Always liked power corruption & lies though.
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Dec 17, 2007, 12:30
"Ian Astbury provided "6 degrees of seperation connection" between two these bands."

How?

Re comments on this thread about New Order, can't see what the fuss is about. They were an average band who made some great tunes on occasion...In a lonely place, doubts even here, age of consent, your silent face, sunrise, perfect kiss, thieves like us, murder, regret...all great songs. They weren't that bad.

As for Ian Curtis - I think some of the comments here indicate people getting a bit precious about him. I'm sure he would have been the first in the queue at the Hacienda.

8)
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

Dec 17, 2007, 12:40
My avatar says it all for me.
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index