the first album you really loved in your life

75 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9573 posts

Re: the first album you really loved in your life
Apr 09, 2007, 15:36
Nah, don't agree with youn there, Kid.

Bolan did very little UK TV other than TOTP during his 71-73 peak. The Cilla thing was something of a one-off which he probably did because she was a mate of his (via Ringo by all accounts).

I actually like the Life's A Gas duet - it's a nice one-off as cheesy as some may find it. He looks and sounds great!

Better still, we got to hear Mad Donna, a Tanx LP track, for the first time. This was a big event for some of us!

As for the later appearances on various kids tv shows, well I guess needs must. Bolan's career had declined substantially by the time he finally gave up on trying to make it in the States, and returned home. And appearances on TOTP were no longer guaranteed. And actually, there were some good appearances on these shows - the live version of Dandy In The Underworld on Get It Together (IIRC) is one of my fave Bolan telly appearances ever. The warble (and the outfit for that matter) was almost Tyrannosaurus Rex. Fab stuff!!

As for the Marc series... well, regardless of whether it was any good, along with the Disc column it gave Bolan more exposure than he'd had in some time.

It might not have been vintage T.Rex, but I liked it myself. I certainly rushed home from school on a Wednesday. I think there were some decent re-workings of old faves and forthcoming ones, exposure for various punk/new wave acts (where else did you see Radio Stars on TV?!!), and that fab finale with Bowie.

As for Tony Visconti, no-one would doubt that he helped make Electric Warrior what it was, but I don't see a producer doing a good job as a slight to the artist in any way. That was Visconti's job, and he did very well. And not just on EW, either.

I'm currently reading his autobiography - there's much of interest and I haven't got to the bits I'm looking forward to yet! Nice foreword by Morrissey, too.

I dunno if the offer is still on, but Waterstones on-line were doing autographed copies for a decent price. I couldn't resist! ; )
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index