the first album you really loved in your life

75 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Edited Apr 09, 2007, 15:13
Re: the first album you really loved in your life
Apr 09, 2007, 15:08
I was watching that 'Story Of Light Entertainment' documentary (narrated by Stephen Fry), repeated on BBC4, last night. I think the editor/researcher must have been a bit of an old Bolanite, as footage of T.REX featured in it several times. There were some awful bits from his kids' TV show 'MARC' and a cringey bit with Cilla Black. Despite the talking heads (who included Paul Morley) giving him some praise.

If only someone had advised and warned Bolan about when there was a risk that that sort of over-exposure was likely to cause damage - then perhaps those albums would be considered works of great importance to a lot more people. The trouble was, I suspect, Bolan's ego had already ensured that any sincere advisors had already been dispensed with. And the remaining sycophants just egged him on into guesting on more and more silly shows - rather than encouraging him into getting down to spending more time writing, recording and honing his talents.

'Electric Warrior' was indeed a triumph (as were the self titled T.REX album), but I wonder whether we would have had such timeless and cherished albums were it not for the steadying influence of Tony Visconti.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index