Apr 10, 2007, 12:44
How are you, mercian?
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Re: the first album you really loved in your life
Apr 10, 2007, 12:58
'Ziggy Stardust' / 'Hunky Dory'

I got them both for my 12th birthday from my brother and sister in July 1972- I never stopped talking about Bowie & The Spiders after seeing them on Top of The Pops - so I think it was to shut me up!!
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Apr 10, 2007, 13:20
But did it work?
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Apr 10, 2007, 13:27
Kid Calamity wrote:
The trouble with all Disney movies of the 60s though, is all the liberties they take - mucking around with established stories and details (Sword In The Stone?). As well as crappy characaturing (sp?) of 'foreign' accents in order to appease some sample audience of ignorant burger chomping thickos who don't see much of the outside world.

Like I said, it's a live-action cartoon fantasy vision of London. Yeah, Dick Van Dyke overdid the accent.

Forgive the burger chomping thickos. They know not what they do, KC.
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Apr 10, 2007, 13:45
Kid Calamity wrote:
But did it work?

Ha! No!!!

;-)
Valve
Valve
1736 posts

Apr 10, 2007, 14:12
Fitter Stoke wrote:
the first album that really floated my boat was The Faces' 'Ooh La La'. Great record, and the cover was great fun too.

That reminds me of the big poster that came with A Nods As Good As A Wink - a montage of little apres gig party pics featuring Rod and the boys asserting their heterosexuality all over the shop. The little black strips covering all concerned's embarrassments made it all the more intriguing to a young lad like me.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Re: topo
Apr 10, 2007, 14:20
Agreed. I even like side 3!
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Apr 10, 2007, 14:24
Having cut my teeth on the single of Ride a White Swan (T.Rex), I later bought my first two albums at the same time. These were Fog on the Tyne by Lindisfarne and Imagine by John Lennon. I must admit, I still listen to them both from time to time, and enjoy them a lot - probably as much for nostalgia reasons as anything! I also used to enjoy strumming along to the Fog on the Tyne tracks, so it has probably welded itself into my musical DNA somehow...
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Apr 10, 2007, 14:59
I just have a bit of a problem with concessions being made and 'dumbing down' generally, I'm afraid. I sometimes have to deal with this sort of thing professionally - as does my wife (who's working on a huge project for a major American client, who I can't name here). It's not the fault of those lowest-common-denominators, the guineapig audiences - it's the greed-heads at the top of the production companies out to milk maximum loot being steered by distributors making them stick in happy endings and rounding things off to satisfy those not happy to have to work things out for themselves. There's usually a merchandising angle in there somewhere, too.

As a result we get told about those marvelous American code-breakers in 'Enigma' and such like.

And being a rather anal birdwatcher, from a very early age, I was astounded and rather offended at the sight of an American robin twittering on Julie Andrews finger in Mary Poppins! - I was only eight years old, btw. Everything else was British - so why couldn't the robin be?
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Apr 10, 2007, 15:10
Blondie - Plastic Letters. Great album, great sleeve and a nice pic of Debbie on the back - pwroar! .....ahem...actually it was the second album I really loved ....the first was Abba's greatest hits - the one were they're sitting on the park bench kissing.

Did anyone see the Carpenters programme on BBC1 last night? Must get some of those records.

8)
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index