Nick Drake

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
starfighter23
starfighter23
43 posts

Re: Nick Drake
Mar 06, 2008, 17:30
hey, this was a year ago, and i was a far more opinionated and ignorant young man back then, but I'm still not sure everyone gets my point...
I wasn't annoyed at him "selling out" as such - i don't think you can ever aim that criticism at someone who's dead.
However, I'm sure he once said if he could have felt that his music had helped someone, at least ONE person, then everything would have been worthwhile. And I think very few of those thousands who bought it having heard it first in the VW advert would have been "helped" by it - certainly some would (tv permeates everyone's awareness), but proportionally speaking, an insignificant number.

But ultimately, what do i know? I am young. The original post sounds more belligerent than I intended anyway.
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

Mar 07, 2008, 10:13
Nick dRake's music sure helped me through some harsh tiMes!
Nick ... was simply ahead of his time with his music, I feel.

Thanks Nick where ever you are.

(((charLie)))
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Mar 07, 2008, 12:08
Ooh. No sound here - is that the same song that Knifehandchop remixes here?

http://www.myspace.com/knifehandchop

"Led Zeppelin were just a band..." etc etc

x
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Mar 07, 2008, 15:13
cHARLIE wrote:

Nick ... was simply ahead of his time with his music, I feel.

That's exactly it, Yali. He didn't 'fit' at the time. We have moved on since 1974. However people discover Nick Drake, whether through a VW ad or recommended by a mate, is irrelevant. As long as they discover it - because there is more meaning, and expression of humanity in his three short albums than some of the biggest, best and most long-lived artists achieve in a lifetime. His music transcends pigeon holes - it's not folk, it's not pop, it's not classical, it's not rock and you won't hear it on the radio ever. It's entirely original and I find it profoundly moving.
cHARLIE wrote:

Thanks Nick where ever you are.

Nick was at my wedding and I want him at my funeral.

If you haven't seen Keith James play the songs of Nick Drake live, I heartily recommend it. But bring a hankie - you'll be moved. http://www.songsofnickdrake.com/tour_dates.php
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

Edited Mar 07, 2008, 15:41
Mar 07, 2008, 15:41
Uknow I nearly went to see Keith James play the songs of Nick Drake live when he played Falmouth arts centre a year ago and for what ever
(I think it was sold out?)reason didn't go. I really wish I had.

Jane have you got *Family Tree*? tiz a gem!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Family-Tree-Nick-Drake/dp/B000PFU7O4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1204903437&sr=1-4

PoOr nick ay?
8O(

His music just gets better & better.

(((yaLi)))
p.s...I have just recorded a cover version of Nick's *Been Smoking Too Long* which I will be putting up on my MySpaced PAge soonish. Hopefully it will put a smile on your face.
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

Mar 07, 2008, 15:43
madly under rated!

How very dare you!

8)
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Edited Mar 07, 2008, 16:52
Mar 07, 2008, 16:47
is what you really mean 'it's not my cup of tea' or 'i don't like it' ?

There's plenty of stuff I don't like but still appreciate it may be a well crafted song, with interesting lyrics or played with skill and originality. For example, I understand why others like opera even though I loathe it.
riotmaster
1563 posts

Mar 08, 2008, 15:49
not at all. i think he's crap. can't see anything in his music of any quality at all. so cna't sit back and think 'well its not really my cup of tea'. i just think its total twee crap

i'd wager if he hadn't kicked the bucket no fucker would've give two shits about him. in fact wasn't that exactly happened whilst he was alive ?

its always the same
moey
moey
770 posts

Mar 08, 2008, 17:38
Yip
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Mar 09, 2008, 14:22
riotmaster wrote:

not at all. i think he's crap. can't see anything in his music of any quality at all.

Weird, especially as you rate Neil Young so highly! If you pare it down, their songs are very, very similar.

Ah well, each to their own, eh?
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index