Pages: 8 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
starfighter23
starfighter23
43 posts

Nick Drake
Mar 13, 2007, 23:09
Didn't know this statistic:

"In 2000, Volkswagen featured the title track from Pink Moon in a television advertisement, and within one month Drake had sold more records than he had in the previous thirty years."

People make me sick.
a23
a23
1004 posts

Re: Nick Drake
Mar 13, 2007, 23:35
"people make me sick"?
You twisted misanthrope!
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Mar 13, 2007, 23:44
starfighter23 wrote:
Didn't know this statistic:

"In 2000, Volkswagen featured the title track from Pink Moon in a television advertisement, and within one month Drake had sold more records than he had in the previous thirty years."

People make me sick.

Why do you respond like this?

Lots of people heard a beautiful song and sought out the artist behind it.

Is the beef that he was a relative unknown when he was alive? It's sort of futile to be bitter about that- lots of legendary artists spend their lives in near-obscurity, only to be widely discovered later on.

I know your distaste may be over the commercial exploitation of 'Pink Moon'- Well, that's a wide and gray area- It's a case by case basis with me when it comes to music being appropriated to sell something. Sometimes it works, sometimes it grates on my nerves. Mostly it hinges on the fulcrum of how flip or how serious the tune is and what it's being used to sell.

I heard a Fall song being used to sell a big American SUV recently. Now that was pretty surreal. I can't imagine Mark E. Smith agreeing to such a marriage.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Mar 14, 2007, 18:07
Mar 14, 2007, 00:06
Yeah, I agree. If an ad gets Nick Drake's music heard by more people, I'm not bothered about it. Also, we shouldn't forget that part of the reason he wasn't appreciated during his lifetime is because he suffered from a depressive illness that prevented him from promoting his music. That doesn't mean he didn't want it to sell - by all accounts, he did, and was very upset about the fact that it didn't happen. I'm guessing here, obviously, but I reckon he'd be thrilled by his posthumous fame.
moey
moey
770 posts

Mar 14, 2007, 00:30
"Thou Shall Not Stop Liking A Band Because They Have Become Popular"

dan le sac VS scroobius pip - Thou Shalt Always Kill (2007)

http://www.myspace.com/lesacvspip
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Mar 14, 2007, 08:15
ahah my little furry friend

yes people make me sick too sometimes!

similarily about 6 people bought the first xxx album

and of course 50000 people were there at a particular concert when the venue only held 50

it happens all the time

however the key point is that only 2 of the 6 people actually listened to xxx and 10 to the concert

nick drake has sold loads since his death but again few have listened

the ears and eyes shall have it!

see you at easter!
Lady Macbeth
1 posts

Mar 14, 2007, 09:07
Nick Drake features strongly in some of Phil Rickmans books. The Deliverance minister Merrily Watkins series is worth a visit. You can get to know Nick Drake even if, like me, you had never heard of him.
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Mar 14, 2007, 12:38
Folk just need a nudge sometimes. Dunno why, but they do. Rest assured, I doubt if any of those turgid 'make a popstar' shows will ever join that 'bandwaggon'.
Plenty of others have enjoyed a late renaissance. I find it more comical when people buy those 'greatest classical pieces ever!' things and end up 'appreciating' about a five minute excerpt from something that takes that time to even get remotely started.
x
Wiggy
1696 posts

Mar 14, 2007, 13:49
Probably says more about the culture we live in than the people who bought the records. I do sort of understand what you mean though - I have a picture in my minds eye of the "creatives" involved in making that advert, and it aint pretty.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Mar 14, 2007, 15:55
Wiggy wrote:
Probably says more about the culture we live in than the people who bought the records. I do sort of understand what you mean though - I have a picture in my minds eye of the "creatives" involved in making that advert, and it aint pretty.

It does demonstrate how the hipsters have moved in on the advertising world. Kid's TV too. I can think of at least half a dozen examples of punk rock veterans who are doing creative things that are on the kid's shows- Mark Mothersbaugh from Devo... Iggy Pop...

I have to admit that VW ad with Pink Moon was a brilliant example of advertising genius. It's all about evoking that feeling of driving on warm summer nights, feeling beautifully wistful and romantic. It's a successful ad, I'm afraid... how one feels about Nick Drake being used to sell a car is a valid reaction, but the ad both sold a lot of Nick Drake albums AND VWs.

Sure, it can be a devil's bargain to attach your art to commerce, but sometimes it helps advance recognition. Artists who are serious about getting known will do what they must, & advertising can sometimes provide an open door.
Pages: 8 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index