Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Eardrum
Eardrum
540 posts

Re: Ian McNabb
Mar 05, 2008, 21:39
totally agree, musically he deserves more recognition

am (well used to be) a mcnabb freak (can't afford to be anymore), was in videos, knew the band, had all the records etc, and will say the man is a fucking talented songwriter, and lyricist.

can be a twat as a person though, depending on mood! g/f loved meeting him though, and he made a point of kissing her several times in front of me!

see the bloke live, it's worth it!!
Piquiod
Piquiod
525 posts

Re: Nick Drake
Mar 05, 2008, 23:28
Was it a case of it being "the in thing to do"?
did the surge of fans convene 1st and agree to the purchase collectively before buying the cd?
Good music will hit the ears of attuned people with similar responses I think. Hear it, like it, aquire it, dig it, repeat until sick of it...that my cycle anyway.
Its interesting and shows the power of the wide range that commercials have...The commercial wanted you to buy a car (or whatever), not the music underneath the sales pitch...
The vast range of homes that Nick's music was inserted into cannot be ignored...selling out may now only mean to reach a wider audience to gain a wider acceptance for mass appreciation.
I've heard Nick name for years and couldn't be bothered to seek out his music (save for a Lucinda Williams cover on her 1992 Sweet Old World)...
Thankfully a fellow head on this board enlightened me to his trip and music with some cds...great stuff.
Maybe great music is only great if people hear it...otherwise it doesn't get to breath like wine or live like great music should (in the hearts and minds, and dreams of fans).

Nick was a great talent, and I didn't even know how cool he was until 6 months ago...there is a bigger world of music than we ever dreamed of.
If it gets to your ears, it doesn't really matter how it gets there (unless yer being raped the rapist is jamming to some wicked tunes)....even then...maybe.
riotmaster
1563 posts

Mar 06, 2008, 00:17
madly overrated.
vince
vince
1628 posts

Mar 06, 2008, 03:25
I saw the car ad using The fall...there's a sly kind of subversivness to that I must say...using Mark E. to sell high dollar cars? He's often had a hard time selling his own records.

Put yerself in an ad-mans shoes. You've got to work for a living. You've filmed a pretty decent ad. Now you've got to pick the music. You can be lazy & go for Robbie Williams despite your better judgement. Or you can choose, say, Baccara & try to look cool & ironic in a 70's discocheese kinda stylee . But not. Or...you could just pick your favourite album and hope that other people 'get it' by default. I know what i'd do.

On a personal note, as someone who has struggled in vain - and at a great financial & personal cost - to make a living from 'the biz' whilst trying to create something meaningful, passionate & life affirming, I'd be VERY happy if one of my pieces was used. Even out of context. Sometimes the more banal aspects of life take priority....as much as we'd all like our Rock Gods to be "creatively correct" sometimes paying the mortgage or putting yer kid thru school can take priority.
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Edited Mar 06, 2008, 04:11
Mar 06, 2008, 04:11
I remember hearing Love's "Alone Again Or" for some beer commercial very late at night,

apparently Arthur Lee had leased it for a very short period of time for a specific amount of plays. It didn't dilute it. It was a nice surprise.

Eddie Money has been offered big bucks, manymany times by airlines

for "Two Tickets To Paradise", yet has never sold. I don't think most

people know/care or give him credit, until he sells...
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Edited Mar 06, 2008, 04:34
Mar 06, 2008, 04:31
Lots of good points there i must say. With regard to Blindness, i know 3 people who bought Fall Heads Roll on the strength of hearing that song in the ad alone, only one of them was a bit of a Fall fan already. As others have mentioned, any kind of exposure for artists who would otherwise have trouble being heard has gotta be a good thing.

We all take our music seriously on here ( p'raps too much at times ) and get exposed to lots of different things but that isn't necessarily the case for others. It doesn't surprise me that sometimes obscure music when given mainstream exposure strikes a chord with a surprising amount of people. We've all got ears and there's no escaping the good shit !
vince
vince
1628 posts

Mar 06, 2008, 05:48
Yay to that. If Mark E. & Nick Drake are what we get to hear in our daily going-about-business lives as opposed to American Idol bullshit then count me in.

A good point for discussion though methinks.
supercat
supercat
4257 posts

Edited Mar 06, 2008, 08:55
Mar 06, 2008, 08:55
Videos??!!??!

Ha! yeah, V certainly enjoyed that greeting. ;)
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

Mar 06, 2008, 09:56
Totally agree about Ian Mcnabb!

Very underrated and criminally overlooked.
Seen him several times live and always a delight to go and see and also met him a few times and he has never come across as a twat, but we all have off days don't we?

My best memory though was travelling to the Sheffield arena (shit venue) on the tram from town to see Neil Young!
Ian was in our carriage and some chavvy types got on and started shouting/singing,so he lead all the folk off to see Neil into a rousing version of "only love can break your heart"!
Brilliant!
Walked up to the venue with him and he shared his joint with us.

btw - Any Neil Young fan out there who has'nt heard "Head like a rock"
which Ian made with Crazy Horse,do yourselves a favour and do so asap.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Mar 07, 2008, 10:03
Mar 06, 2008, 10:10
starfighter23 wrote:
Didn't know this statistic:

"In 2000, Volkswagen featured the title track from Pink Moon in a television advertisement, and within one month Drake had sold more records than he had in the previous thirty years."

People make me sick.

The only thing that makes me sick is that Chris Blackwell, Island and Joe Boyd get a whole load more credit and kudos for an artist they utterly hung out to dry in his own lifetime.

For all the great press Island gets for their a&r nouse in that era I get the impression that artists associated with Harvest and the Jenner/King stable came out with a lot more in terms of getting rights to their own recordings etc. The impression Joe Boyd gives of himself in his autobiography is of a man who followed the money in pursuit of some David Geffenesque power grab. No room for stage-wary introverted poets there then!
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index