Nick Drake

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
starfighter23
starfighter23
43 posts

Re: Nick Drake
Mar 14, 2007, 16:16
my objection was not to his fame, but to the means by which he came to it.
seems to me that most of the people buying his records in that surge after pink moon appeared on tv. would be doing so only because it was the "in" thing to do. As opposed to being exposed to him and then following that up by exploring the rest of his work, the majority would rave about him until the next big thing came on a different advert, whereupon they'd move onto championing that.
Its throwing him into a pool of artists who have nothing valuable to offer to music other than one song suitable and catchy enough for an advert. i dont think the fans of that are the kind of people he'd want "liking" his stuff. He wanted to communicate and help people through his music and people who follow one hit wonders from adverts on tv arent the sort who appreciate a good artist for what they're worth.
not to say that everyone who heard him for the first time on the VW advert were that shallow. but the bulk of the people who made that high a record sale would be, in my opinion.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Mar 14, 2007, 16:47
I'm not sure that what you're saying isn't that it's better for obscure artists with small but dedicated audiences to remain obscure.

It doesn't tarnish Drake to have a wider appeal! So what if the majority of people who discovered him thru that ad don't grasp the deeper aspects of Nick Drake. That doesn't dilute his music.

There seems to be a cultish idea floating around that achieving recognition on a wide scale equals some sort of catastrophic artistic death. I think it's a rather clannish idea.
Wiggy
1696 posts

Mar 14, 2007, 16:57
Well, I suppose in that it sold a lot of cars the ad was a "success".
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Mar 14, 2007, 17:01
handofdave wrote:

There seems to be a cultish idea floating around that achieving recognition on a wide scale equals some sort of catastrophic artistic death. I think it's a rather clannish idea.

Yeah, perhaps. I'm sure anyone who bought Nick Drake because they heard it in an advert (I find that perplexing) will get fed up with it soon enough - he doesn't make the kind of music as we know that will appeal to Robbie Williams fans or to fans of any old schmoozy shite.
It's just a bit off (for me anyway) to concatenate something so special to something so crap as a car. In a purely aesthetic sense, it stinks!
x
Brother Johnno
Brother Johnno
428 posts

Ian McNabb
Mar 14, 2007, 20:53
People do need a nudge sometimes, especially towards artists who should be HEARD! One of my musical heroes, Ian McNabb is a fine example. He has consistently written quality tunes, all of which are 'poppy' enough for the masses, and yet cultured enough for the musos, but alas, his work remains in relative obscurity. He sold out halls before Christmas by resurrecting The Icicle Works for an anniversary tour and yet it seems all those punters (middle aged old rockers I guess) drifted off home to continue forgetting all about R.I.McNabb.
If any of you folks reading this gets a moment soon when they are looking for something new to listen to then do me a favour, check out Ian's work and maybe catch one of his excellent live shows, you won't be disappointed. This man deserves recognition for all he does and I'd love to see that happen,
Love to all.
BJx
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

Mar 14, 2007, 21:19
[quote="handofdave
I heard a Fall song being used to sell a big American SUV recently. Now that was pretty surreal. I can't imagine Mark E. Smith agreeing to such a marriage.[/quote]

yr sadly deluded - smith is heavily in debt + must have been really happy when this happened
keith a
9573 posts

Mar 14, 2007, 21:24
People are stupid for hearing some music they like and then...buying it?

Blimey. That is stupid.
starfighter23
starfighter23
43 posts

Mar 14, 2007, 22:35
my point was that good music should be treated as such, not as a disposable fashion accessory.
Clearly, this didn't come across strongly enough.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Mar 15, 2007, 00:59
singingringingtree wrote:
[quote="handofdave
I heard a Fall song being used to sell a big American SUV recently. Now that was pretty surreal. I can't imagine Mark E. Smith agreeing to such a marriage.[/quote]

yr sadly deluded - smith is heavily in debt + must have been really happy when this happened

Well there ya go,
The Seth Man
1242 posts

Mar 15, 2007, 04:04
Hey, starfighter23

Take heart in the knowledge that the well-heeled clientèle who purchased said classic were subject to being intensely stared down by a deceased poet more alive than they as they cringed uneasily through the desolation of "Know" and "Parasite" and took it off for something more, you know, 'relaxing'...Like Throbbing Gristle.

Still, as John Cage once advised 'Start anywhere.' It might as well be "Pink Moon". Could be a lot worse, I suppose.
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index