Local Bands

Pages: 10 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Pursued By Trees
Pursued By Trees
1135 posts

Local Bands
Aug 23, 2005, 12:21
There were a few small-time local bands that I remember going to see regularly in pubs as a youf ... our local heros included:

The Chillum Squad (later The Special Guests)
Played the illegal all-nighters in the surrounding woodland, campfires and petrol generators, many local pubs and even the Mean Fiddler once. Punky-dubby-reggae informed kind of a sound. Even their flyer artwork was cool, still got one of the later posters somewhere.

The Ryecatchers
Hemel's finest. Flowery, jangly, indie-guitar stuff.

The Odd Eccentric
I only saw these a couple of times but was greatly impressed by the singers jacket, which was completely covered in one inch square mirror tiles. Great effect with a little dry ice.

Who were they where you were?
Nat
Nat
1905 posts

Re: Local Bands
Aug 23, 2005, 12:33
I've been a weeeeee bit spoilt I'm afraid coming from Yeovil, the hive of talent that was around in my teen years was just amazing!! ;o)

PJ Harvey - Started off as a backing singer for Grape and The Family Cat and then became her own entity!! Remember travelling back from Taunton Community Centre after seeing some band and listening to John Peel and him playing 'Dress'. We just stopped the car in a layby on the 303 and just sat in awe, rest is history as they say!

Grape - they were just wonderful! Lovely pure pop! Had various incarnations including Basinger!

The Chesterfields - Loved them to pieces, cheesy bouncey lovely pop and they wrote a song about my mate Alison! Had a couple of albums out and were HUGE in Japan... even to the point that when Davey died a couple of years ago some girls came over from Japan for the funeral!! ;o)

Bob - Indie guitary pop.

99th Floor - Can't remember what they sounded like, but I was soooooooooo in love with Tim the bass player that it really didn't matter!! lol... followed them to the strangest pubs in Dorset to watch them play! Tim always wore black leggins and a 'Indie Kid' Senseless Things T-shirt was just mad about him!! ;o)

The Walmington and the Half Moon in Sherborne were the best local venues. I did see Jesus Jones at The Gardens Nightclub in Yeovil.. that was an experience and a half!! ;o)
Rolling Ronnie
Rolling Ronnie
1468 posts

Aug 23, 2005, 12:37
Likewise spoilt in Guildford. Local bands included Genesis, Camel and The Stranglers. And of course the Stormsville Shakers.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Aug 23, 2005, 12:59
I'm off to see a couple of bands on Friday. They are playing Dunfermiline (the Carnegie Hall, what's the best way to get there?) as part of the Edinburgh Festival (!!).

The Flying Matchstick Men, who describe what they do as 'electrodiscowonkpop'. And, My Latest Novel, who I very much enjoyed supporting Smog the other week, and who are opening for the Pixies at Murrayfield on Sunday. Both of whom have just had their first releases on medium sized indies. On my track recrods, be prepared for you never to hear of them again.

Malcolm Middleton is also playing, but as far as I'm concerned that's time to catch the bus back to civilisation.

I miss seeing Pink Kross regularly, they were always fun.
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palms/4964/
Valve
Valve
1736 posts

Aug 23, 2005, 13:34
Lived around the Harrow area 78/79 where the local band was the Bozos - crap name, great band - A bunch of hippy Chelsea fans (!) they all lived in a terraced house on Harrow-on-the-Hill and played a Monday night residency at an Irish pub called the Roxborough (long since bulldozed) doing covers of “All or Nothing”, “Shake some action” and Gram Parsons “I cant dance”, then their own songs - “Weekend Girl” and “Armchair Theatre” I remember. Changed their name to Flying Colours, played at the Kensington and split. Then the Q-Tips took over aka the Harrow Horns playing the Queens Head in Wealdstone and then all over North West London - non-stop dancing to Atlantic and Stax soul covers. Saw them play the Hope & Anchor and Dexys were in the crowd checking them out before Paul Young became big and uncool.

Anybody playing Gram Parsons or Otis Redding stuff... or both... in a pub.... is fine by me.
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Aug 23, 2005, 14:06
Diamond Head

Ned's Atomic Dustbin

PWEI

Wonder Stuff

Roy Wood

Robert Plant

and the sadly missed:

Peppermint Airgun, Swamp Donkeys, Belch Pop Frenzy and Virtual.
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Aug 23, 2005, 14:09
You forgot Dawn After Dark!
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Aug 23, 2005, 14:23
Who's that KC?
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Aug 23, 2005, 14:28
Another Stourbridge outfit. Less successful contemporaries of PWEI and the Stuffies. Sorry, I thought it might have struck a note.
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Aug 23, 2005, 14:31
Home of the Medway Delta scene!

Billy Childish (Milkshakes, Mighty Caesers, Headcoat(ee)s, Buff Medways), Holly Golightly, Dischords, Prisoners ( then James Taylor Quartet).

Seen them all except the Milkshakes and Prisoners (too young see?!).

x
Pages: 10 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index