Unsung Forum »
Local Bands

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: Local Bands
Aug 23, 2005, 14:42
Oh tons! The Fugitives, a kind of Johnny Thunders-meets-Paul Simon type of thing. Health And Beauty, Rochester New York's answer to the Residents, and cleared rooms whenever they played. Down With People, Rock-In-Opposition type stuff. Deerpark, droney avant-garde psych. Clang, excellent Elvis Costello/XTC inspired soft-rock. Pengo, DADA-psych wack-out! And don't forget Armand Schaubroeck! (See Copey's piece in Unsung if you don't know...)

There was tons more that don't come to mind...
Lawrence
9547 posts

Aug 23, 2005, 14:46
Oh and Nod and Coffee. And you can trace both bands to the Legendary Fertility Rite Brothers featuring the Thing (last seen with only one shoe on...)
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Aug 23, 2005, 14:52
Ah, KC, I'm from the 80's :-(

Back from the future!
Nat
Nat
1905 posts

Aug 23, 2005, 14:54
Awwww you had all the best ones Morfe... tut....!! ;o(

What about 'Eat'.. I loved them... :o)
Wiggy
1696 posts

Aug 23, 2005, 15:23
I was born in Swindon so I would love to say XTC, but as I grew up in Amesbury/Salisbury I can't really. =;o(

In my late teens early 20's we had ...... not a lot really.
Bubblegum Splash (on Subway, with Chesterfields, Flatmates etc.), Jane From Occupied Europe, The Mayfields, The Nuthin's (cool 60's garage band), and The Badgeman of course (but I never saw 'em!)

PJ Harvey was somehow involved in the Salisbury Womens Rock Choir (I kid you not), and the mighty Troggs were still churning it out up the road in Andover.

Not too bad I suppose.
Wiggy
1696 posts

Aug 23, 2005, 15:41
....and I forgot Mad Cow Disease - their single, "Jesus wants me for a vegetable" rocked!
We had some good bands in the early mid 80's that never got anything released - Farley 500, Dennis, Newcombe and Roach - all good but fell into the "local" trap (never gigging away, and, on the rare occasions they did, just taking busloads of mates with them so it might as well be Salisbury, etc.)
Got to say though, most "local" bands are bad, wherever you are.
Wiggy
1696 posts

Aug 23, 2005, 15:43
....oh yeah, Moose out of New Model Army came from Pewsey, just up the road.
Wiggy
1696 posts

Aug 23, 2005, 15:45
....And there was The Grey Wolves.
texlahoma
texlahoma
891 posts

Aug 23, 2005, 16:05
growing up in sandbach, there were loads of good bands for me too see as a teenager, lots of different styles of music and bands based in different areas but with members living in sandbach and crewe. highlights for me at the time were the boo radleys, dr phibes and the house of wax equations, pitchshifter, and my favourite the expanding men.
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

Aug 23, 2005, 16:10
Re the Medway lot - what about Thee Auntie Vegetable - featuring James Taylor and my big buddy Sexton Ming????
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index