Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1705 posts

Re: Local Bands
Sep 25, 2007, 17:47
dee wrote:
Anyone remember The Weird Happenings Organisation, The Brain of Morbius or Experiment......South East Londone scene late 80's early ninetys. or Bands from the mid 80's north east Enland....Dan, Hellbastard or the Magic Bastards??????????

I think I have a Magic Bastards 7" somewhere; something tells me I saw them supporting Mega City Four in that London once. I also recall Hellbastard, and for that matter, Bastard, and of course, the mighty Bastard Kestel- saw all three once I think on a deliberately bastard-themed evening, possibly at the 1in12 in Bradford, or it may even have been a rare decent gig in my old hometown of Halifax in the late 80s...

For the record, I fondly remember such great local talent as The Cannibal Swamp Rabbits, Bogshed, Chinese Gangster Element, The Psycho Surgeons, Salvation, Another Cuba, The Vaynes, Langfield Crane, Wonky Alice, Eggbread, Cody Beach... all active around the West Yorkshire area roughly 86-95. If any of these names mean anything to anyone on here I shall be well chuffed!
Debaser
Debaser
241 posts

Sep 25, 2007, 18:01
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:

Salvation, Wonky Alice,

all active around the West Yorkshire area roughly 86-95. If any of these names mean anything to anyone on here I shall be well chuffed!

Salvation...my mate Biggy was their roadie....apparent;ly the world's worst roadie according to some venue in London.

And I thought Wonky Alice were from Manc but I'm often wrong. Perhaps one of their members was from Manchester Town.

Coming from Lincoln my list will be fairly short...

Sinking Ships
Cigarettes
4 000 000 Telephones
Berlin
Owsley Sunshine
Eccentrics
Suburban Toys
Whelk Attachement

loving a new band called Lipstick Entourage
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1705 posts

Sep 26, 2007, 09:37
Yeah, I think Wonky Alice were actually from Oldham; not geographically that far away from me though, despite technically being "across the border." They used to play the Return Club in Halifax all the time, great quirky space-pop sound... I should also mention Burnley's Dandelion Adventure, brilliant churning Fall-Membranes madness!
ratcni01
ratcni01
916 posts

Sep 26, 2007, 11:46
Def Lepard used to play at the local pub regularly when I was a nipper, I hated all that spandex type shite so never went to see em.

The Cropdusters weren't partic local but used to whizz along the south coast to see em regularly for a spell.

The Void (or was it Voidoids :-/) were "the worst punk band in the world" and they made lots of noise and weren't that good but round where I was I took what I could get
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Sep 26, 2007, 12:35
Fine m'dear, just dandy ta! And no, not much help at all! ;-p
slightreturn2003
1 posts

Re: Local Bands The Bozos
Mar 30, 2008, 19:30
Hi...
Just to let you know..Ric Gunther Drummer with the Bozos is still playing and has been playing drums with The Outskirts Of Infinity since 1987.

http://www.myspace.com/theoutskirtsofinfinity

Cheers
Bari Watts
musik nazi
musik nazi
5 posts

Mar 31, 2008, 02:58
myspace.com/quietobsolescence
chronicles the underground music from the Lynchburg,VA area (former home of the late Rev. Jerry Falwell).
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Mar 31, 2008, 08:44
Severin wrote:
Probably not fair as I lived in Boston,MA from 81-mid90s..but Pixies,Throwing Muses and Galaxie 5o0 for a start

I thought there was a big thing made at the time about how the 2 4AD acts came from nowhere & didn't really go through a garage level of being. Thought some people from the area were sounding pretty jealous that they didn't go through that.
Not sure though since a handful of 87 dates have turned up on dime.
& wasn't Come On Pilgrim sent out as a demo, possibly their 2nd one but released almost as was. Though a couple of tracks were dropped & only emerged when a compi I can't remember the name of appeared.

When did the black female bassist leave the Muses? & how long an ionterval was there before Tanya Donnelly followed? Trying to date a clip of them I have.
Stevo
Np Santana Journey Into The Universe
se a Cabo
(funny thing with this cos it has everybody but Santana since they did the tour without him. Neal Schon does all the guitar so he isn't 100% missed)
Valve
Valve
1736 posts

Edited Mar 31, 2008, 10:33
Mar 31, 2008, 10:31
Thats good to hear, thanks for that. (and a Bevis Frond connection! Blimey) Any news on Ted or Stan?

There was a bit of correspondance on here a while back with one of the people involved with the 45 revolutions book (I think?) who was a Weekend Girl fan:
http://www.headheritage.co.uk/headtohead/unsung/topic/28524/threaded/579554
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Mar 31, 2008, 10:35
There've been a couple of torrents by these recently on dime. Possibly in the wake of the Hawkwind sets but Bevis frond has had a couple up there for a while longer too.
stevo
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index