Re: Unpleasant Heroes
Apr 27, 2005, 19:30
I thought it was down the chip shop
Tangerine Pete
Tangerine Pete
487 posts

Apr 27, 2005, 19:38
I met the members of XTC at Tower Records on Sunset Blvd. in LA when they were there doing a record signing in 1989 (i was really young obviously -- doubt i'd go to anything so silly these days).

On the plus side, I do now own an orginal gatefold swirl vinyl edition of Psonic Psunspot authographed in character by all three (Sir John Johns, The Red Curtain, etc..). The Dukes of Stratosphear is probably the best stuff they ever did ironically.

Had a brief chat, and they were very affable -- Partridge in particular is a one-man traveling circus of silliness, joking non-stop and really being 'on".

Of course, that's quite a different scene than if you walk up to them in the road I should think, when they're not expecting it. That's the key really.

Also, Robert Fripp once described fame once as an overcoat that you put on. He said the trouble with some people is the overcoat never comes off, and they behave like spoiled children in their private lives as well. So, yet another dynamic.
keith a
9573 posts

Apr 27, 2005, 21:38
I was in a pub in Oswestry (small market town for those not in the know) in the early 90's, when this little bloke with long hair, a long beard that descended into two points, and a pair of small round purple glasses walked in. 'Bloody hell' I thought - 'it's Roy Wood', cos even though i hadn't seen or heard anything of him for some time (this was before his mid-90's mini-revival) and he was much smaller than you would think - it could only have been an older version of that bloke in the warpaint from all those years ago.

He walked towards me on his way to the bar, and this girl I knew introduced me to him. I was quite excited and told him I'd been a big fan of his. Now whether it was cos my sentence used the past tense or whether he was just in a bad mood I don't know, but he never even replied. He just walked off. 'You bastard' I thought. 'I bought Fire Brigade when I was seven - that was a lot of pocket money on one purchase!. I didn't expect him to sit and discuss the production values of Brontosaurus or go into detail about why the 2nd Wizzard album was a rocknroll pastiche, but a simple hello would have been nice.

Anyway, it put me off for him a short time, but ignorant gitt or not, i still think he was a great talent. And, on the strength of the gig I saw him play 2-3 yrs ago, I choose the past tense carefully this time!
Beebon
1375 posts

Apr 27, 2005, 22:29
Joe Preston of Earth/Melvins/Sunn O)))/Thrones/High on Fire fame.. Met him earlier in the year and I found him to be an amazingly friendly, polite and all round cool guy!

Matt Pike (formally of Sleep) was also pretty cool!
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Re: MES....pissed in the house
Apr 27, 2005, 22:48
Damo Suzuki is on at the Night and Day next Tues (3rd May). £8.........wonder whether Smith will show up.
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Apr 27, 2005, 23:06
Lol. Wish I'd thought of that :)
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Re: pleasant Heroes
Apr 27, 2005, 23:10
Nail... Head... Bang!
BUBBLEHEAD
BUBBLEHEAD
982 posts

Apr 28, 2005, 00:19
Was lucky enough to have a night out on the razz with Rat Scabies in the mid 80's. Top bloke from what I can remember ( which ain't a lot )
Lawrence
9547 posts

Apr 28, 2005, 00:28
I once met Johnny Thunders before he died and he acted like I wasn't there. But what did I expect from a junkie anyways?

How about heroes that turn you off, not in meeting them? Like Neil Young giving support to Reagan, forinstance? Or Billy Zoom of X linking himself to ConservativePunk, although come-to-think-of-it he was the least interesting in the band anyways and most of his stuff was too much like Eric Crapon-style ersatz blooz crap. Of course I already lost interest in the Ramones anyways, so Johnny's mealy-mouth was just-as-well...
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index