Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Grinningboy
Grinningboy
112 posts

Reissue/remaster these albums NOW!
Apr 22, 2005, 09:14
Misty In Roots - Live At The Counter Eurovision 79

Tim Buckley - Blue Afternoon & Starsailor

Velvet Underground - 1969 Live: still only available on two cruddy sounding separate cds. Duh!

Montrose - Montrose: remaster it, beef up that sound.

Little Feat - 1st album/Sailin' Shoes/Dixie Chicken/Feats Don't Fail Me Now/Last Record Album: ditto.

Deep Purple - Come Taste The Band: seriously unsund, give it the Burn treatment.
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

Re: Reissue/remaster these albums NOW!
Apr 22, 2005, 10:33
in our want-everything-NOW!!! culture i gotta concur w/ ya on the buckley's + velvets (i got a cd of "starsailor" BTW - it's so-so sounding, and great to have, but a remaster wd be terrific) ... here's some top of my head reissue demands on this fine friday morning:

Tha Habibiyyah - if man but knew
Sun Ra - astro black + the antique blacks
Pharoah Sanders - village of the pharoahs, live at the east, wisdom thru music, elevation (got the latter on lovely japanese cd issue)
Albert Ayler - new grass (again, expensive jap only cd is much loved in my house)
Sun City Girls - all early LPs, esp "horse cock phepner", plus all those great majora 7"s
Skullflower - xaman
Moe Tucker - playin possum
john cage - HPSCHD + fontana mix

jeez, you cd think about this one all day + the list wd just go on + on + on .. sometimes i guess it's nice not to have everything at yr fingertips
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Apr 22, 2005, 11:10
In the absence of my lovely wife, I'll say it for her - you made up most of those band names.
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

Apr 22, 2005, 11:19
ok ok i admit it - "john cage" - who'd believe that one, eh?
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Apr 22, 2005, 11:20
Well, quite.
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Apr 22, 2005, 13:16
Tell me about Sun City Girls singingringingtree - what's the best stuff? Is it all different?

x
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

Re: sun city girls
Apr 22, 2005, 13:46
... are one of the most fabulous, infuriating, genius, bullshit, scrath-yr-head, scratch-yr-balls bands EVER ... there's no real consistency, a whole range of sounds, some great great tunes, great great playing mixed w/ some complete take-the-piss waste of time crap - but not everyone agrees on what's the good stuff + what's the crap. There are a few that most seem to agree on, namely "torch of the mystics" + "330,003 cross dressers from beyond the rig veda" + "live from planet boomerang", which do what the SCG "do" most consistently, ie an out western rock band freaking out further on 3rd world musics .. theyr'e great recs. Others i'd recommend, altho others may not concur include:
"horse cock phepner" (lotsa songs, lotsa profanity, scatological humour - deranged rewrite of The Fugs' "cia man" maybe sums it up - sample lyric = "who sucks off the pope behind closed doors? / and spits the cum into yr open sores? cia maaaaaan..."), "libyan dream" (kinda messed up inconsistent take on "torch of the mystics" era ... great cover of "journey to the centre of yr mind"), "high asio/lo-pacific" (mix of entho songs + whaddafugg?? tape collage), "bright surroundings/dark beginnings" (long tracks of trio rock murk) + sir rick bishop's first solo cd "salvador kali" (beautiful beautiful solo gtr, w/ occasional harmonium/piano additions .. surprisingly "straight" + all the better for it) .....
ones that drive me nuts include "midnight cowboys from ipenema" (70s pop cover versions mixed w/ smutty tape fuckery) and the first coupla vols of the "carnival folklore" series (aimless noodly wank) ... but they may be great records + my brain just ain't vibrating w/ em ... that's the thing w/ SCG.
You got any of their recs? what do you think?

"
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Apr 22, 2005, 14:06
Thanks. No, I haven't got any of them, just heard a lot about them, mostly, as you say, along the lines of 'they're great'/'they're shit'.

Is it one of them that does the stuff on Sublime Frequencies?

x
TheBear
TheBear
981 posts

Apr 22, 2005, 14:20
Oooh, oooh, please let me have the master tapes to anything by String or U2 and I'll remaster them with a road drill, ok?
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

Apr 22, 2005, 14:23
"Is it one of them that does the stuff on Sublime Frequencies?"

yeah, it is ... a lot of the releases on sublime freqs include SE Asian material that SCG, uh, "appropriated" for some of their finest moments ... the idea of them making money on radio recordings + bootlegging 3rd world cassettes seems kinda dubious, but i guess there's no other way western hipsters wd get to hea rthat stuff, so ....
Pages: 9 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index