Unsung Forum »
Reissue/remaster these albums NOW!

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lugia
970 posts

Re: Reissue/remaster these albums NOW!
Apr 25, 2005, 18:06
Hard to say. My attempts to find it have been somewhat less than fruitful...but not as fruitless as for "Samtvogel", which is definitely, 100% MIA. My scratchy copy could stand replacing...it's been wandering onto the turntable since 1979 and deserves retirement.
Lascivia
Lascivia
422 posts

Apr 26, 2005, 04:57
Have you tried Forced Exposure? They still list "Uberfällig" in their catalog.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Absent Early ECMs
Apr 26, 2005, 13:14
I have 'Escalator' as a two CD set on ECM, and it sounds like the same mix as the triple Virgin/JCOA set I acquired on LP way back in the mid seventies. Buy with confidence. Other early WATT/JCOA things I have on CD, via ECM, are Carla Bley's 'Tropic Appetites', Michael Mantler's 'Hapless Child' and, best of all, 'Jazz Composers Orchestra' which is one baaaadddd racket of glory. They're all still listed on the ECM website.

Wolfgang Dauner's wonderful clavichord-extravaganza 'Output' remains a vinyl-only collector's item, I'm afraid. It's one of a goodly portion of early ECM's that have never seen the light of day on CD. It's curious, but I get the impression that most of the really adventurous, left-field stuff that ECM brought out in its earliest days has been conveniently forgotten about by the company, who now seem keener to project a sterile, technically perfect (and mostly classical) aura. Hence the lack of things like Bailey's 'Music Improvisation Company', Alfred Harth's chaotic gem 'Just Music', Robin Kenyatta's 'Girl From Martinique', Gary Burton's lovely record of Mike Gibbs compositions (whose name escapes me), and virtually the entire JAPO catalogue which really sorted the men out from the boys where experimentation was concerned. And why Mal Waldron's eternal headtrip 'The Call' has never been digitalised is a mystery to me.

Jan Garbarek's recent output, anyone? Ugh. Saccarine Shakataks, as Sylvester the cat never used to say. Gimme 'Afric Pepperbird' and 'Triptykon' any day.
keith a
9574 posts

Apr 26, 2005, 14:19
Leggo Dub by the Revolutionaries. Cos I want it!
Lascivia
Lascivia
422 posts

Re: Absent Early ECMs
Apr 26, 2005, 15:50
I've been told that your portrayal of ECM's current outlook is accurate and, furthermore, that they don't want other labels to reissue their old albums. So, it surprised the hell out of me when Universal Japan reissued "Music Improvisation Company" on CD. I guess they waved enough yen in front of Eicher's face.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Apr 27, 2005, 11:40
Dare I suggest all the Julian Cope stuff that's deleted?

While I'm at it, the Mocrodisney and fatima Mansions back catalogues (and Bubonique - could do with a digital version of Screw)
Grinningboy
Grinningboy
112 posts

Apr 28, 2005, 11:16
Oh, and one I forgot...

Humble Pie - Performance, Rockin' The Fillmore: monumental, but sorely in need of improvement in the sound stakes and perhaps they could finally remedy the bleeped out bit in "Rollin Stone".
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Re: Absent Early ECMs
Apr 29, 2005, 00:11
I wannit!! Now!!!
Bess Keloid
Bess Keloid
348 posts

Re: sun city girls
May 01, 2005, 22:25
'Midnight Cowboys From Ipanema' deserves to be heard at least once, if only for the hilariously fucked versions of 'Fly By Night' & 'Radar Love'. Sweet agony!
Bess Keloid
Bess Keloid
348 posts

May 01, 2005, 22:28
Bum Gravy were pretty noisy. Kind of in the vein of Headbutt. Distortion, hammering rhythms & yelling.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index