Unsung Forum »
Unsung Punk

Pages: 19 – [ Previous | 110 11 12 13 14 15 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
MonkeyBoy
1008 posts

Re: Unsung Punk
Oct 30, 2002, 23:45
The Ruts are often overlooked - probabily not the greatest, but one of the best punk bands. Even developed their sound with Love In Vain and West One. It Was Cold was great as well and Dope For Guns, In A Rut, Babylons Burning, Staring at The Rude Boy etc.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Lummox
Oct 31, 2002, 09:23
good call. Must see if they have a website with any downloads or stuff, coz I reckon they'd go down a storm with the denizens of this site. Their Beefheartian shambolics are superb.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7718 posts

Oct 31, 2002, 10:31
Your sink?
Alexis
20 posts

Re: Pills
Nov 01, 2002, 00:26
i love that ep by the flys...i keep meaning to pick up the reissue, but i'd have to order it, and that's a hassle
Alexis
20 posts

Re: weirdoes/1313
Nov 01, 2002, 00:29
i always wondered if there was a volume 2 of that weirdos comp..there's stuff missing. anyways the early stuff is great, but i'm not fond of the later stuff
Flower
19 posts

Nov 01, 2002, 12:43
Hmmmmmmm, thats a tough one. It would have to be a choice between the buzzcocks, the undertones and the damned for me.....
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Re: Skrewdriver
Nov 02, 2002, 13:07
Dunno about The Blood, but the most (in)famous NF band was of course Skrewdriver, led by the late Ian Stuart. I was very disappointed Skrewdriver turned out to be racist thugs because I remember being knocked out by their first album 'All Skrewed Up' way back in '77, long before Stuart turned to Asian beating. It was (and is, if you can forget the neo-Nazi kack that subsequently ensued - hard I know) a really fine, true punk mini-album choc full of good, riffy gems with not a nationalist lyric anywhere. And 'Antisocial' stills sounds great. I haven't heard any of the subsequent right wing shite and I certainly don't wish to.

Their original drummer, Grinny, turned up later in The Nips by the way.

Interesting that all the Chiswick label compilations and reissues that have appeared in recent years have conveniently forgot they had Skrewdriver on their roster!
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re: Skrewdriver / Mark Radcliffe
Nov 02, 2002, 20:58
Didn't Mark Radcliffe play drums with them for a while in their early, pre-NF days? Seem to remember him writing to NME to explain that his involvement with them was strictly before their lapse into fascism.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Re: Skrewdriver / Mark Radcliffe
Nov 04, 2002, 13:30
Don't really know, Popel. What I do know is that only Ian Stuart remained of the original line up when the band 'reformed' in 1982.

I guess anyone associated with Skrewdriver from any period of their existence has quite a cross to bear now. But from what I can glean it was mainly Stuart who had the fascist tendencies and led the band in the ultra-right wing direction. A shame, because irrespective of his highly dubious political stance he was a good gravel-voiced punk vocalist with a penchant for writing real catchy punk songs.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Cosmic co-incidence!
Nov 04, 2002, 13:33
That's really fecking spooky. I was re-reading my original question at the exact moment you posted your reply. Cue "Twilight Zone" music....
Pages: 19 – [ Previous | 110 11 12 13 14 15 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index