Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Wire
Jul 23, 2001, 20:41
from what i heard from gary from Dublin's Smile records store
several members really liked the Grateful Dead at the time of punk
-at least i think it was then.
slightly out of step - great band thogh GD still just about were at the time of that.
I just go for the adage -who's the better punk rocker Sid Vicious or Bugs Bunny.
Think I might post the clip of one of my pieces that comes from.
I'd take the latter -since its a thing of self invention etc
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: weirdoes/1313
Jul 23, 2001, 20:44
if somebody who i normaly trust is to be believed thats the weirdoes as Lydia Lunch's band on 1313
-don't know the Weirdoes names though.
Talking about California -who likes the Gun Club?
only a couple of years out
though to fit in the timeliner i've currently got worked out they were going a couple of years before Fire Of lOve -which is 1981
jezyk
4 posts

Jul 23, 2001, 22:02
You can read about Weirdos here: http://www.breakmyface.com/bands/weirdos.html and you may also visit http://allmusic.com they reviewed their compilation "Weird World Volume One" which I found by accident in one of the local stores with used CDs.
jezyk
4 posts

Jul 23, 2001, 22:03
You can read about Weirdos here: http://www.breakmyface.com/bands/weirdos.html and you may also visit http://allmusic.com they reviewed their compilation "Weird World Volume One" which I found by accident in one of the local stores with used CDs.
Alexis
20 posts

Re: Unsung Punk
Jul 24, 2001, 03:35
I really like a few of the Weirdos songs, Life of Crime especially, but they are inconsistent. From what seems to be the case from Weird World 1 (which I also have) there seems to be a few things missing, who knows how much really was unrecorded. From what I've heard thogh, there are plenty of better, but less heralded bands (though I can't name them off the top of my head :)
Leppo Joove
33 posts

Jul 28, 2001, 13:00
I don't know any of the early Gun Club stuff, but I have got "Mother Juno" from 1988 which is awesome. It's produced by Robin Guthrie and verges on goth-rock in places, which I don't normally like, but Jeffrey Lee is an emotive enough singer and lyricist to carry it off, unlike Ian Astbury, who purloined Jeffrey Lee's vocal style down to a T but ruined it by singing in tune all the time.
Alexis
20 posts

Jul 28, 2001, 18:23
The best Gun Club stuff to own in my opinion is
Fire of Love (1st) Miami (2nd- but POOR production)
Early Warning (demos + live 80-81). The only one
I still have is E.W. which came out a couple of years ago
and has some great performances of their better songs. There are also some accoustic demos by JLP, and these
are interesting, because they sound like old-time blues
nimbus
3 posts

Re: Unsung Punk, The Flesheaters
Oct 29, 2002, 00:24
Depending on when you ask, "Hard Road to Follow" by The Flesheaters is my favorite album. The unsung sound of L.A. punk. The Flesheaters original line up included John Doe and Dave Alvin but, the 2nd version of the band is the best with Don Kirk on guitar. Chris D's lyrics are wonderful, morbid and romantic. Chris' voice can split rock, it's the sound of pain. The music is sort of like "X" remixed by Iggy Pop. The best albums are only available on vinyl but, you should be able to pick up the two "hit" collections on SST Records.
Essential Flesheaters
1. Hard Road to Follow
2. Forever Came Today
3. A Minute to Pray a Second to Die
4. Detroyed by Fire "greatest hits"
4. Prehistoric Fits "greatest hits part 2"
nimbus
3 posts

Re: Unsung Punk,Hanoi Rocks?
Oct 29, 2002, 00:37
Hanoi Rocks as UNSUNG PUNK? Sorry dude don't even try it. How about Alice Cooper, Kiss, Aerosmith? I didn't think so.
Howden
Howden
216 posts

Re: Unsung Punk
Oct 29, 2002, 01:44
Have to agree. Loads better than the album. And the radio left a little more to the imagination!
Pages: 19 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index