Unsung Punk

Pages: 19 – [ Previous | 112 13 14 15 16 17 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fuzz Eldritch
41 posts

Re: Unsung Punk
Jun 06, 2005, 21:10
I've been listening these three "unsung" punk bands lately:

Screamers - Jello Biafra called them "The best unrecorded band in the history of rock'n'roll". 'nuff said.

Crime - Sonic Youth did a cover version of "Hot Wire My Heart" on their "Sister" album.

Mike Rep & The Quotas - "Rocket to Nowhere" must be one of my all time favorite songs.

Bonus beats:

Catholic Discipline's "Underground Babylon" is one of the highlights of Penelope Spheeris' "The Decline of the Western Civilization", IMHO.
ratcni01
ratcni01
916 posts

Jun 07, 2005, 00:32
'ere how about flux of pink indians td?!
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re: Blue Orchids!!
Jun 07, 2005, 15:02
Definitely. Fortunately for all and sundry, since I posted that info four years ago all the Blue Orchids' stuff has been re-issued. Definitely worth copying - the Cherry Red anthology "A Darker Bloom" also combines the best bits of "The Greatest Hit" with their early singles and the "Agents Of Change" EP, so is a pretty good place for the uninitiated to start.
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

Jun 07, 2005, 15:32
Neneh was singing too. It was on the return of the Giant Slits tour, Hull Tower Ballroom, support was supplied by the wonderful Mouth of Ooh-Ah-Yeh fame - three drummers and a Geetarist ...or something like that
Kid Calamity
9045 posts

The Dancing Did
Jun 08, 2005, 10:38
Blimmin' flip. I'd forgotten about them. I saw 'em at Evesham Town Hall. Can't remember the year...must have been around 1980, I reckon. 'Beware The Wolves Of Worcestershire' was one of their (clearly very memorable) titles.
Kid Calamity
9045 posts

Jun 08, 2005, 11:05
If they were unrecorded, how did you...? Oh never mind.
Kid Calamity
9045 posts

Re: Skrewdriver / Mark Radcliffe
Jun 08, 2005, 11:07
Gary Bushel loved 'em.
Kid Calamity
9045 posts

The Vibrators
Jun 08, 2005, 11:12
I really quite liked this lot. However, after a couple of near misses in 1977-78, they seemed to disappear. It was years later that I realised they had been banging albums out and touring regularly, all the while - And still are! Good Rhythm & Blues based british-style Punk Rock. I actually designed a few sleeves for them in the late eighties.

I've got my tickets for the Wickerman festival and see they're down to play there.
wychburyman
951 posts

Re: The Vibrators
Jun 08, 2005, 11:27
John Ellis, who used to be with the V spent some time as lead guitarist for the Stranglers. I had some nice chats with him during this time.

Still doing a lot of creative work I believe
Kid Calamity
9045 posts

Re: The Vibrators
Jun 08, 2005, 11:34
The Stanglers are on the bill at Wickerman, too. I've heard any of their most recent album, 'Northern Coast' I think it was called, but it was very well recieved.
Pages: 19 – [ Previous | 112 13 14 15 16 17 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index