Unsung Punk

Pages: 19 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Howden
Howden
216 posts

Re: Unsung Punk
Oct 29, 2002, 01:47
The first Mark Stewart/Maffia album was/is a killer.
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Oct 29, 2002, 01:49
Quite literally in fact. A man was stabbed in the neck with a shard of vinyl from that album and later died as a result. A killer indeed.
Son Of Alice
41 posts

Re: Hanoi Rocks fan??!!
Oct 29, 2002, 01:54
I don't care if Hanoi Rocks were punk or not, but I just had to respond because this is the first reference to them I've seen on this site. I've only actually heard their cover of Up Around the Bend (love the original, didn't think it quite worked metallized) but I've been curious about them for a long time. I've yet to find any of their albums anywhere in any format. Would you be able to burn a copy or tell me where on the net I might find copies for sale?
And I don't know if Michael Monroe's post-HR output counts, but I have heard Dead, Jail, or Rock and Roll (didn't like it) and his guest co-lead vocals on Guns n' Roses version of Ain't It Fun (LOVE IT, ONE OF MY ALL-TIME FAVORITE GN'R TRACKS!)
Howden
Howden
216 posts

Oct 29, 2002, 01:58
I always loved The Adverts & thought TV Smith could write an intelligent lyric & a wicked tune. Deserved much better press than they ever got.

And I've got to mention the Not Sensibles. I mean, how 'punk' is "I'm In Love With Margaret Thatcher"?
Howden
Howden
216 posts

Oct 29, 2002, 02:03
Surely you jest? Mind you, they can be pretty inventive down in Bristol... Used to go to a club that was in something like a terraced house! Brilliant place.
Howden
Howden
216 posts

Pills
Oct 29, 2002, 02:09
Funnily enough, 'Pills' is the only Lurkers track I've played in a long time.
Other b-side faves of mine include 'Can I Crash Here?' & 'Civilisation', the other side of 'Love and a Molotov Cocktail' by The Flys, and 'Psychomodo', a Scars b-side (can't remember the a-side at the mo', but it wasn't 'Adult/ery'/'Horrorshow'.)
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Unsung Punk sigh
Oct 29, 2002, 07:13
Er ..you'll notice I didn't mention those other bands cos they ain't the same.
Hanoi's first three album are basically stripped down raw rock n roll and they have a number of tunes that are as punk rock as anything of their time. Honest
Anyhoo, whatever.
To be honest something think that puts me off 'punk' is what so often seems to be the much-argued over, incredibly narrow parameters of what 'punk' is, and the 'punker' than thou stance.
"You can't listen to them, they're not punk" and so on. It's all rock n roll to me.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Hanoi cd's
Oct 29, 2002, 07:26
I dont have the technology for burning cd's I'm afraid (how punk is that?!) and all my Hanoi stuff's on vinyl (I am so punk!)
I'm surprised you can't get their stuff online 'cos it's usually readily available in records stores.
Soz for not being much help. I've not bought cd's online (apart from on here) so I dunno where to suggest, sorry.

However I'd recommend the albums Oriental Beat and Self Destruction Blues as a good example of their early raw stuff. Back to Mystery City is a bit more slick, though still pretty rough, and Two Steps From The Move you might like if your leanings take you in a more conventional rock n roll stylee!
Think there's a couple of best of's out there somewhere too
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: oh yeah...
Oct 29, 2002, 07:30
I should add that whenever I saw Hanoi, their audience was one of the more eclectic crowds of the time, a real pic n mix of fan 'types'. And yes a large part of their audience (in the UK at least) would consist of punks and they seemed pretty into it! Quite nice to see such a mixed bunch really.

Mind you, they might not have been 'proper' punks;-)
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

When the Tanks Roll Into Poland
Oct 29, 2002, 09:12
If that title's right. Who did that? The Automatics?
Pages: 19 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index