Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives 15/02/04
Feb 16, 2004, 18:19
Lowlife is NO's classic IMO...
keith a
9573 posts

Feb 16, 2004, 18:22
Bollox!!

I even like the last one that everyone slated. Give it a few yrs and everyone'll be saying how great it is. You just mark my words!!
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

Power, Corruption and Alarm Calls.
Feb 16, 2004, 18:41
Used to play 'Age of Consent' at full volume to wake up the house when there were six of us sharing a tiny cottage in Faversham. Can't remeber much else of it other than the "... so why don't you fuck off!" track.
Last NO album I bought was 'Lowlife'. Can't remember anything off it!

Fave NO song is a 12" b side; all clashing & chiming guitars like the Buzzcocks' 'Why Can't I Touch It?' Can't remember what it's called though!
keith a
9573 posts

Feb 16, 2004, 18:42
Had a bit of a thrashy week, with one or two exceptions...

Skull Ring - Iggy Pop (not a classic, but growing on me. And Little Electric Chair is GREAT!)

Raw Power - Iggy & Stooges (the re-mixed version)

Machine Gun Ettiquette - The Damned (hadn't heard this in a few yrs but I've played it to death this week. So good to hear the likes of Love Song with it's wonderful "Ladies & Gentlemen, how do" intro, Looking At You, Plan 9...etc again)

Chain Gang of Love - The Raveonettes (one of the most *enjoyable* albums of recent years. Such great toons)

Loveless - My Bloody Valentine (Swoon!!)

Germ Free Adolescents - X Ray Spex (OK, the singles take the honours but there's other good stuff, too)

Re-tox - Freeheat (ep from ex JAMC Jim Reid. More of the same I suppose, but if you like the Mary Chain...)

Instant O in the Universe - Stereolab (last yr's ep. A grower)

The Third Chamber - Loop Guru (the hour long single!)
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

You coming round for a Garibaldi tonight
Feb 16, 2004, 18:59
Popular music appreciation is the new wine tasting!

The Homosexuals' Record - Swell Maps meet Jilted John! An immediately likeable CD that transports you back to your teenage bedroom in 1978. Pogo a go-go. Though I don't remember the kneejoints aching quite so much.

Franz Ferdinand - Perhaps not quite so retrospective as The Homosexuals' Record, but this is a damn fine CD. I can hear a hint of The Strokes in the vocal delivery, some Elastica in the guitars (which immediately nods towards the finest post-punkof the 78-80 era; Gang of Four, Wire, Au Pairs, etc.)

The Rapture 'Echoes' - Shades of The Cure, and wholescale robbery of PIL. I really love the new single. When was the last time you heard cowbells? (I'll tell you where, Kings of Leon, that's where!)

Oneida 'Secret Wars' - This is just fucking great! Get hold of it! I insist!

The Von Bondies 'Pawn Shoppe Heart' - Sounds like Detroit! Soledad Stripes et al. I quite like it actually! The first track in particular is a right good stomper!

Lomax - One particular track is on endless cycle in the car; reminds me of 'Hero' from Neu! 75. Don't like the Weller vocal mannerisms when they surface, but definitely worth a few plays. Again, very reminiscent of late 70s/early 80s post punk.

Panjabi MC 'The Album' - Bhangra beats a-plenty. Really quite an aural assault. There's a Jah Wobble track I keep playing with a very Eastern influence; 'Om Namah Shiva'.

I've also listened to two Sum 41 CDs. Sorry!

:o)
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

Feb 16, 2004, 19:17
Don't think the Kristin Hersh was from me... possibly a Vybik Jon collection?

Still haven't forgotten about that Tijuana Lennon & McCartney record; just haven't been able to get up in my parents' loft yet! I'm pretty damn sure it's there, though. :o)

Right, off with the Von Bondies and on with the Tanya! (I've been trying to get 'Thief' just so on my little'coostic guitar!)
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: moon cat! mr night and mr day
Feb 16, 2004, 19:40
Dude...I actually won it from Guilfin.com via the estimable Mr Riot Gibbon ( where he?) a couple of years ago by writing a review of my sensory pulverisation at the hands of Acid Mothers Temple.

So, soz for lack of royalties as it was a freebie. But I loves it a lot. An awful lot. So top dues to you for it!

Incidentally - I have seen a couple of Knights albums ..erm...within my fiscal range. I shall deffo get now!

Well done that man!
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: Power, Corruption and Alarm Calls.
Feb 16, 2004, 20:59
I prefer Movement really... I know alot of people think it's some sort of Joy Division hangover -- actually I think it's alot more experimental than the previous JD stuff. "Procession" from about that time was an interesting single also -- makes me wish Prophet 5 synths were still available...
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Feb 16, 2004, 23:21
Hundreds of shows available for free, you could get addicted! Honolulu 1970 & Amsterdam 1972 are pretty good 'uns . . .

http://www.gdlive.com/
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Feb 16, 2004, 23:30
Bobby Conn & The Glass Gypsys - "The Homeland": a new release by an old favorite that has me fascinated. May make a separate post about it.

Stereolab - "Margerine Eclipse": I think they stopped growing after Cobra Phases, tho the new one's OK. But I thought the EP of last year was more consistently good.

Black Sabbath - "Volume 4": never one of my favorites, sometimes I even think of it as a joke. But last night I was listening to it on CD instead of scratchy old vinyl, and I must say it does have a vibe all it's own. Much more mellow and spacey than the first three. Even "Changes" didn't sound so bad in context (tho that may partly be due to exposure to the much worse recent duet version.)

Also listened to a bit of "Technical Ecstasy" which is not bad at all, I swear it!
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index