Soundtracks Of Our Lives 15/02/04

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
joudicaa
joudicaa
325 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives 15/02/04
Feb 15, 2004, 23:14
well i've had i wanna be your coo-cachoo by alvin stardust blasting alongside the sweets ballroom blitz and ooooh black betty by ram jam...
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: plop
Feb 15, 2004, 23:16
and sugar baby love by the Rubettes no doubt baggage haha
joudicaa
joudicaa
325 posts

Feb 15, 2004, 23:16
oh i forgot devil gate drive by the lovely suzie.
joudicaa
joudicaa
325 posts

Feb 15, 2004, 23:18
hand on heart , that is a pile of shite, i know its your fave and all that, but come on.admit it
Lugia
970 posts

Feb 15, 2004, 23:35
Well, lessee....

GYBE: "Lift Yr. Skinny Fists etc". This keeps getting grabbed onto and listened to in its wholeness on the MP3 automotive spinnytronics this past week.

New Order: "Low Life". Well, I like it. More filled-out than "Power, Corruption and Lies", but many of the same or similar ideas.

Oliveros/Dempster/Panaiotis: "Deep Listening". Technically, the Deep Listening Band's first joynt. Droning subterranean atmospherics. Hypnotic, dreamy, shoegazy...but pretty much totally acoustic, interestingly. Recorded in a huge underground reservoir in Washington State.

Genioh Yamashirogumi: "'Akira' Soundtrack". Yeah, baybee! Gamelan meets choir meets electronics meets Noh theatre meets futurism to the max! Mindblowing on many fronts.

Kraftwerk: "Ralf und Florian". An oldie but a goodie. That tiki-meets-Rheingau fun of "Ananas Symphonie" is still a fascinating balance of cheese and space and lounge and kosmische...music for mai-tais while in orbit...

And more besides...
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Feb 15, 2004, 23:42
This week's aural experiences:

Leonard Cohen 'Ten New Songs' - that all sound the same, but my - this is a surprisingly moving record. The voice is deeper than ever, almost sinister, but the music strangely hypnotic. Quite his strongest release since the 70's;

Cornershop 'Handcream For A Generation' - a cornucopea of funky ethnic shit. Pick it up in a bargain bin near you and be enthralled. I love this;

Starsailor 'Love Is Here' - bought for £2.39 in the local Our Price closing down sale, and worth at least 50p for the 'Losing My Religion' ripoff that is 'Poor Misguided Fool';

Dave Brubeck Quartet 'At Carnegie Hall' - forget 'Kiss Alive' - THIS is the greatest live double album ever;

Roberta Flack 'Killing Me Softly' - a lovely, lovely record, with an epic version of the aforementioned Cohen's 'Suzanne' that moves me to tears every time;

Slipknot 'Iowa' - bought for £2.39 at the same Our Price sale as the Starsailor album above. And surprisingly invigorating, in a kids' hoody sort of way, providing you pretend that Napalm Death, Bolt Thrower and Morbid Angel never existed;

The Doors 'Waiting For The Sun' - Mojo magazine recently ran a lucid article on why the Doors' mid term catalogue sucked. Well written, but disagreed by this listener who still rates this as the band's finest half hour overall. And hey, 'The Soft Parade' pisses over most other thinking bands' supposed best albums to these ears;

Hatfield and the North 'Hatfield and the North' - fuck the rest, this is the best. Find me a more intense, orgasmic, peel-me-offa-the-wall guitar solo than that of 'Gigantic Land Crabs In Earth Takeover Bid' and I'll gladly buy you your beer for life.

Beethoven 'Fidelio' - in the much-vaunted 1961 Covent Garden Klemperer performance. Don't believe the hype, it's not that great. The sound's poor, and the intrusive audience kill an interpretation that adds nothing to Klemperer's classic studio version (which can be bought for half the price if you shop around).

Tea break over, back on me 'ead...

Good health and listening, all

D x x x x x xx x
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Our Price?!
Feb 15, 2004, 23:49
There are Our Price's still going?! Wow! I thought they'd all disappeared about 7-8 years ago! I got loads of vinyl for 99p each when the ones here finally closed down. Am amazed!
moey
moey
770 posts

Feb 16, 2004, 01:51
Its a singalong classic Jude admit it! - all that falsetto accompaniement

I'll get me coat

moey
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Feb 16, 2004, 09:19
Steven Stapleton/David Tibet – Musical Pumpkin Cottage
Great collab between NWW and Current93 guys. The krautrock influence is at its highest on this album. Two long tracks, the first of which starts off sounding like a marriage of the Cosmic Jokers’ ‘Sternenmädchen’ album and Sand’s ‘Golem’. Great stuff.

Franz Ferdinand – Franz Ferdinand
A great pop record. Simple as that. Played it to death this week.

Razmo – 4 Jams
Not called that, but that’s what this CDR that Razmo Dave from this very site sent me is. Great head-nodding, foot-tapping stuff on here, and it’s amazing to think this is all plucked from the air as it’s played. Talented bunch this lot.

Morton Feldman –
Can’t remember the catch-all title, but it’s got ‘De Kooning’, ‘For Franz Klein’ and ‘The O’Hara Songs’ on it. Used for late night drifting, though a loud drum roll in the middle of the last piece jolts the listener back to cold reality.

Nurse With Wound – Soliloquy For Lilith
Great, uneasy, crepuscular music.

And that’s about all really. Too busy feeling ill, working on my own things and playing the new-shag Franz Ferdinand album to death to listen to anyone else’s stuff this week.
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Re: FF
Feb 16, 2004, 09:41
I've played this to death over the past week. I was one of the people getting all sniffy about the pre-release hype, but I take it back. It's a great pop record. It has got sonic similarities to the Teardrops, but it's via Blur. The Blur-isms are massive, but that's not a problem for me (when the melodica came in on the last track I laughed out loud). There's not a dud track on it, no filler. And you can whistle the tunes (well, I could if I could whistle, but you know what I mean). I'm not sure I agree with Monganaut about the lyrics though. They're not that great and are so heavily about student life it's bound to piss off anyone who hates students! And the so-called 'gay' song on it isn't gay. It's a straight bloke teasing his gay mate: the key line being 'You're the only one I'd ever want' (the unsaid implication being: 'If I really forced myself to go to bed with a guy for the sake of being able to say I've done it you're the only one I could stomach doing it with', which isn't actually that flattering or very gay really if you think about it.)
Anyway, I'd say they're a good Britpop band a few years too late with great tunes. So, not exactly innovative, but better than a lot of the uninspired stuff that gets lauded. And it's been a while since I've bought a record I wanted to play so much to death in the first week of owning it.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index