Krautrock must haves

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Beebon
1375 posts

Re: Krautrock must haves
Dec 14, 2003, 19:52
Hey Stevo!

Well, i reckon you should definately check out the first 2 La Dusseldorf albums, especially if you like Neu! I've only heard the first Harmonia album (Musik Von Harmonia) which is also well worth checking out indeedy!

Cluester are good, though i have only heard 1 album of their's "Zuckerzeit". Is good ja!

If you can, try to get a copy of "Golem" by Sand and "Irrlicht" by Klaus Schulze :)

Is all i can think of for now....

Steve
Spookrijder
76 posts

Re: From Krautrock to Post Rock...
Dec 14, 2003, 21:45
... there's sometimes one inch difference, and these are anyway just labels. "Lick my decals off, Baby" Captain Beefheart sang, and he was right. But anyway, you can try for example :

"Render Bandits" by Pluramon, a Marcus Schmickler project which got Jaki Liebezeit as guest on all tracks, if it might help you.
MonkeyBoy
1008 posts

Dec 14, 2003, 21:47
Sand by Golem is one I gotta get hold of.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Dec 14, 2003, 22:08
Dunno if these fall into the whole 'kraut' ovum, but these proto Kraftwerk albums do it for me... Organisation - Tone Float
Kraftwerk - Kraftwerk 1
Kraftwerk - Kraftwerk 2
Ralf And Florian - Ralf And Florian
Also..
Taj Mahal Travellers - August 74' is quite nice...though I'm told the 71' CD set is better...though not heard it, so can't comment really.

Also on a modern tip...

Kinski - Airs Above Your Station
Bardo Pond - Dilate
Telstar Ponies - In the Space Of A Few Moments
Quickspace - The Precious Mountain EP + Precious Falling CD (though these are more 'kraut inspired pop i guess)
Stereolab - Parts of Cobra And Phases (i'm thinking Blue Milk specifically here, though it's nice as a whole really).
Boredoms - Vision Creation New Sun

Could go on, but I'll stop

Have fun in the smoke!
Lawrence
9547 posts

Dec 14, 2003, 22:26
I've got the 2CD of the album and extra tracks out on David Tibet's label... Actually the band is called Sand and the album is Golum. The 2CD is called something else -- too lazy to go upstairs and look...

Oh yeah, it's the creepiest Krautrock recording ever. In binaural.
Lascivia
Lascivia
422 posts

Dec 14, 2003, 22:31
For a while, I've been planning to make a web essay detailing eleven albums that would give a reasonably comprehensive overview of the krautrock scene. You already have most of these, I'm sure:

1. Can - Tago Mago
The archetypical krautrock album. Also spans from the ultra-experimental to their stereotypical mantric stuff and on to ethnic-influenced realms as well.

2. Faust - The Faust Tapes
The best realization of their collage esthetic and a really disorienting experience the first few times one spins it.

3. Neu! - Neu!
The later albums are more single mindedly motorik, while their debut spans many more realms and seems to even have a thematic focus.

4. Cluster - Cluster II
Many might prefer their later albums, as do I, but this allows one to hear the real industrial side of krautrock, mostly abstract electronics but with one track ("nabitte") hinting at their clanking Kluster roots. The Neu!-ish "im süden" is the standout.

5. Harmonia - Musik von Harmonia
The ultimate in motorik trance, with some tracks sounding like Plastikman several decades in advance. The constructions resemble modern electronica but the timbres draw from the crunchy guitar and studio manipulations of the era. Very kosmische.

6. Tangerine Dream - Atem
The ultimate kosmische work. It's by far the best produced from their experimental period, with unbelievable sonics. It also has hints of the VCS3 iterations of later TD.

7. Ash Ra Tempel - Ash Ra Tempel
Free rock that's not as obviously blues-based as their later work, with thundering tom-tom propulsion from Klaus Schulze and engineering from Conrad Plank helping to alienate the instruments to the extent that one wonders often where the sounds are coming from.

8. Guru Guru - UFO
A stand in for the influence of the prevalent European free jazz on krautrock and also the really weird shit (Anima, Limbus 4) that Ohr often put out at the beginning.

9. Xhol Caravan - Electrip
Though Plank produced "Motherfuckers GMBH & Co, KG", their debut "Electrip" is much more coherent. This stands in for the many, many jazz-fusion bands on the kraut scene.

10. Popol Vuh - Hosianna Mantra
A controversial choice, as a lot of people find this album's prettiness offputting, but there is a darkness in the background to much of this, especially the unbelievable "Kyrie". Only the oboe-laden opening of side two stays completely in major scale consonance. I chose this over "Letzte Tage - Letzte Nächte" as a better representative of the ethnic side of krautrock. However, if the prettiness sounds too iffy, try "Letzte Tage".

11. Amon Düül II - Yeti
The commune side of krautrock (especially "Sandoz in the Rain", a glimpse at what the original Amon Düül sounded like on "Paradieswärts Düül"). One of my favorite albums, ever.
Lascivia
Lascivia
422 posts

Dec 14, 2003, 22:33
The 2CD is "Ultrasonic Seraphim". I'd start with Witthüser & Westrupp first, as only three of the tracks from "Golem" are really great: I find "On the Corner" and "Old Loggerhead" fairly corny.
Lascivia
Lascivia
422 posts

Dec 14, 2003, 22:39
Shrimp's http://www.krautrock.org.uk site IS pretty nice; it has Cope's Top 50, for instance, which is generally pretty high quality, though it has a few clunkers.

I regard Dom's "Edge of Time" as the best of the one album wonders.

The "Canaxis" album is a wonderful record made from manipulating samples of ethnic sources like Vietnamese singing and Muslim chanting.

If you already have the first ART, then try the first, self-titled Cosmic Jokers. After that, they go down hill rapidly, though "Galactic Supermarket" is still pretty good. (Actually, I haven't heard "Gilles Zeitschiff" yet, so that one may be good.)
Lascivia
Lascivia
422 posts

Dec 14, 2003, 22:40
I agree. I have only heard the first La Düsseldorf, but found it pretty bland compared to the Neu! albums. More of a New Wave sheen, but not as much drive and certainly not as much experimentation.
MonkeyBoy
1008 posts

Doh!
Dec 14, 2003, 22:45
Sorry huge crossed wires, meant Golem by Sand. What happened to my ability to concentrate!

There is a Kraut band called Golem which generally added to my muddle head.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index