Krautrock must haves

Pages: 9 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Krautrock must haves
Dec 14, 2003, 16:52
With my annual trip to London coming up shortly I'm trying to work out what I NEED to get hold of in terms of Krautrock.
I've got some of the more obvious stuff Can, Faust, Kraftwerk Tangerine Dream, Guru Guru etc also some of the not so obvious GAA etc.

What do people consider absolute must haves?
If I get suggestions then maybe I can fill out my collection accordingly.
Stevo
Np Black Flag live '84 Black Coffee
MonkeyBoy
1008 posts

Re: Krautrock must haves
Dec 14, 2003, 17:35
Agitation Free - Malesch (& then 2nd, 'last' is more an acquired taste for completists).

Witthuser & Westrup - Trips & Traum.

Gila - Free Electronic Sound. Which is a bit more V. early Pink Floyd inspired Kraut.
PaulB
188 posts

Dec 14, 2003, 18:07
Neu! and La Dusseldorf spring to mind.
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Dec 14, 2003, 18:40
if you havent got it: dom - edge of time
& the cosmic jokers albums

check this old site for some other pointers if you havent already found it

www.krautrock.org.uk
Annexus Quam
926 posts

Krautrock & other must-haves
Dec 14, 2003, 18:40
Hi Stevo, glad to post here again.
All of the krautrock albums of the month here are among the lost albums you are after; and/or search the three or four old threads here with recommendations; I'm sure you have some of the less obvious (but still obvious ones) like Gila, A.Free, Y.Sidra, Xhol Caravan (mainly Motherfuckers GMBH) and Out Of Focus early albums.
My favourite though are Dom, Code III and Kalacakra.
Fairly recent discoveries are an original tape of GAM 76 (possibly one of the best albums), Zippo Zetterlink and Silberbart.
All excellent freak’n‘roll.

Or else, outside your krautrock sphere but a bit easier to get in London perhaps, go for the drone/doom bands, you can't fail there - among the not so obvious ones are Toadliquor which is half a masterpiece (most of side B is shite, side A is ace) and Teeth Of Lions Rule The Divine who are massive juggernautian drone-a-thons of the first order.

Of the only-drone bands, Jackie O Motherfucker and the like are providing enormous amounts of meditational freakouts, most of them coinciding with the latest exciting scene (1996-2003) elsewhere.

All of them you can file together in your collection, alongside LAMF of course.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Dec 14, 2003, 18:47
Walter Wegmuller's "Tarot" -- from the same folks who brought you Ash Ra Tempel & Cosmic Jokers.
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Re: Krautrock & other must-haves
Dec 14, 2003, 18:48
Code III is quite hard to find these days however it does spring up in germany sometimes

Gam 76 is available as a cassette or CDR from ultima thule cheaply and is well worth the discovery

Kalacakra - is quite easily found

Dom & Cosmic Jokers are too

all wonderful for any kraut explorations
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Dec 14, 2003, 18:50
disagree about last - it is one of the essential items and check out the link to odin too!
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Dec 14, 2003, 18:56
la dusseldorf are not that essential except for those furrowing a neu! groove
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Dec 14, 2003, 19:02
tread carefully with tarot - it should be approached with care and consideration after first exploring other jokers artefacts

some have been disappointed just diving in without the breathing apparatus and underwater training

build then dip yer toes n feel the warmth of it enveloping you
Pages: 9 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index