23 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lump Of Green Slime
56 posts

Edited Jul 19, 2016, 12:55
Re: Massacre in Nice
Jul 19, 2016, 12:48
Rhiannon wrote:

I do need to do some proper reading about what the beliefs of 'regular' Muslims are and where the extreme groups' beliefs are coming from, because I know zero quite frankly.

Hi Rhiannon, I have spent part of the last two or three years immersed in various publications about Islam, Islamism, Middle Eastern history and Islamic terrorism.

Here are a few suggestions (also for anyone else who might be interested):

Asma Afsaruddin Contemporary Issues In Islam.

This looks at many of the current issues that are a source of major controversy, such as the status of women, jihad, 'creeping' Sharia Law, and so on. If you are going to acquire one book, I would make it this one.It's academic but perfectly accessible.

Of the basic introductions to Islam, Reza Aslan, Malise Ruthven and Neal Robinson's guides are all excellent. Aslan's 'No God but God' is also beautifully written.

As far as Islamic extremism is concerned, Shiraz Maher's recently published Salafi-Jihadism is attracting good reviews.

Of the four books I have read on ISIS, the best one was by Abdel Bari Atwan (though I haven't read Jason Burke's contribution to this ever expanding field of publications). Ziauddin Sardar's Islam beyond the Violent Jihadis also looks good. I have acquired it but haven't got around to it yet but I've read other things by Sardar and they have always impressed me.

Another good one is Khaled Abou El-Fadl's The Great Theft. That is a highly readable explanation of Sharia Law for the general reader, and El-Fadl lays into the Wahhabis, who he reckons are responsible for the dissemination of extremist ideology.

On Islamaphobia, Arun Kundnani's The Muslims are Coming! is an eye-opener.This song and video by the Kominas is also worth a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6T3Mh9cu8s

For Islam in the UK, Innes Bowen's Medina in Birmingham, Najaf in Brent: Inside British Islam is a sober and balanced overview.

When it comes to recent middle eastern history, Jean Pierre Filiu's graphic 'Best of Enemies' books are a good place to start.

As far as Iran is concerned, don't believe a lot of the crap you hear about that country. Only 1.4% of the population actually attend Friday prayers at the mosque and the impression I have been getting is that younger Iranians loathe their Ayatollahs and only put up with them because of a desire to avoid a repeat of the tumultuous post-revolutionary years. Marjane Satrapi's graphic novel 'Persepolis' is a good introduction to that part of the world, and the movie was good too. The films of Jafar Panahi are also excellent, especially 'Offside!' and 'Crimson Gold'. I have just ordered Ramita Navai's City of Lies as the preview on Amazon looked stunning.

Finally, if you want to explore what's going on at the other end of the spectrum as far Islam is concerned, Michael Muhammad Knight is a sort of Hunter S. Thompson of Islamic writing and Mark LeVine's Heavy Metal Islam is an impressive guide to the alternative music scene in places like Pakistan, Egypt, Tunisia, Palestine, Lebanon and Iran. Reading LeVine is also a way to discover just how damaging neoliberal economic policies have been for the MENA (the Middle East and North Africa). It's no surprise to me that many have risked trying to get to Western Europe because of what's gone on and is still going on there.

Okay, that should keep you going for the next few months! Hope this helps in some way (I know I have gone a bit OTT with the recommendations).

U-Know! Forum Index