The EU: in or out?

31 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tk421
121 posts

Re: The EU: in or out?
Feb 13, 2016, 13:31
Hi and thanks for your reply.

I agree with you that the European Convention came about after world war 2 in an understandable attempt to prevent those horrors from happening again.

I remember reading somewhere that the drafters of the convention rights were mostly British. To my mind this adds to the irony of the long delay in introducing it's protections in the UK and also the constant attacks on Human Rights in the British media.

It may be that some different UK bill guaranteeing rights could be introduced. How different would it really be? What rights would we forego from the HRA and what would we replace them with? Would it include a level of appeal outside of the UK to enforce your rights against the government? These would all be questions that would need addressed.

I did not mean to give the impression that I was saying that health and safety stem from the convention or the human rights act. I was just giving it as an example of a benefit from membership of the EU; along with consumer protection, various rights in law for individuals, freedom of movement etc. All these are tangible benefits to be weighed up when considering in or out.

Weighed against those benefits is the obviously struggling single currency, an apparent economic imbalance between the north and south of the EU and the fact that the EU seems to be allowing or pursuing unrestrained capitalism as evidenced by the new trade agreement with the US. However, I suspect that the current governing party of the UK, and labour of the last twenty years, would have signed up to that treaty anyway.

Finally, being in essence a big club, there are differences across the EU on a range of issues. That's probably not unusual but it's not just in the EU that some countries ban abortion against the rights of women. That happens in the UK which includes Northern Ireland. That issue actually applies at the moment. Indeed, it was just voted on again and the situation remains the same as before.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index