Topic View: Flat | Threaded
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Edited Feb 13, 2016, 14:24
Re: The EU: in or out?
Feb 13, 2016, 14:11
tk421 wrote:

Finally, being in essence a big club, there are differences across the EU on a range of issues. That's probably not unusual but it's not just in the EU that some countries ban abortion against the rights of women. That happens in the UK which includes Northern Ireland. That issue actually applies at the moment. Indeed, it was just voted on again and the situation remains the same as before.

Yes, and same sex marriage has just been passed in Ireland not through EU legislation but through society welcoming change.
N.I remains opposed, yet it is accepted in the rest of the UK.
I understand that abortion rights have nothing to do with the EU, that is not the point I was making.
If anything that should be top of the human rights agenda bit isn't, and I've have more respect for it if it was.
Human rights cases will be brought based on interpretation of where someone feels they have been personally violated or have suffered psychological harm, pointing to a particular article, as was the case brought regards the rights for prisoner votes.
I'll put it bluntly there: the psychological let alone physical harm caused to a woman forced to go through with a pregnancy versus someone being denied a vote in an election is far, far greater.
But as I said, a religion will trump a woman's rights every time.
Women from Ireland have the 'opportunity' to travel across water to have abortions and if no one can see that as some how violating a person's dignity then they haven't seriously thought about it.
Now of course we don't leave the EU and are left with a sudden magical solution to these things, but to say the human rights act is reason alone to remain doesn't ring true to me.
EDIT: I listen to some of the rational voices opposed to the EU (not the effing UKIPPERS), as in this article I referred to earlier.
Represents the concerns of War on Want
http://waronwant.org/ttip
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index