The EU: in or out?

31 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tk421
121 posts

Re: The EU: in or out?
Feb 08, 2016, 13:18
sanshee wrote:

But do we really need the EU to have something like a 'human rights act' for UK citizens?

I think we do need the EU.

Without a codified written constitution who you are (subject or citizen and what those mean) and what your rights are and if they are enforceable, is vague and not readily known or available to those who operate outside the legal profession. This is one of the benefits of the Human Rights Act: your most basic rights are set out for you and can be known to you.

That is one of the reasons that I believe we do need the EU. None of the main political parties, from the left or right, has ever enacted its own version of it. One may argue that it is so bland that it could be introduced by any party in the UK but it wasn't, it came from the EU.

To me, it's the same as all the protection you receive in work. These 'health and safety' regulations are the enactment of EU directives to make where you work safe and the conditions bearable. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that these would not have been introduced by any of the main parties without the EU pushing their enactment.

Better in that out.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index