Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Edited Aug 11, 2015, 18:02
Re: Alastair Campbell ...
Aug 11, 2015, 18:01
Sanctuary wrote:
A new leader and a good old clear-out is the only way. I don't vote Labour but can see they have a major task ahead of them. They have no chance of winning the next election, but that's a good thing as they are going to need the time to reform. Come the following election and more and more Conservative hardships in the meantime and they will have a good chance if they play it carefully and sensibly.

I think you're right when you suggest a Labour rebuild will mean a likely Tory win in 2020. Trouble is; I suspect that might be a real tragedy for the UK. I think another decade of tory policy without any coherent opposition could do long-term damage to the fabric of the country. I think 10 years is plenty long enough for them to have effectively destroyed the NHS. And I have grave doubts that it will be possible to rebuild it from scratch; whoever succeeds them.

Having lived in the UK for quite a while - as well as in a fair few other countries - I've seen with my own eyes what all the statistics confirm... that the NHS is one of the best 3 or 4 health systems on the entire planet. And it is being enthusiastically dismembered by a government driven in equal parts by ideology and avarice. It's shocking.

And that's just the most visible wound being visited upon the UK by the tories. For them to be allowed rampage freely for another decade thanks to a lack of effective opposition does not bode well (in my opinion).

I believe western society is at a critical way-point. We face the onset of several different (though often interlinked) extended crises simultaneously. Despite the deniers, Climate Change is a serious problem and the decisions we make over the next two decades will be critical. At the same time resource depletion (primarily oil and fresh water) will lead to increasing global hardship, instability and ultimately conflict. Together, these are likely to result in unprecedented mass migrations of people.

I know I'm in a minority here; but I am very uncomfortable with the notion that our collective response to these problems is being shaped almost universally by right wing predatory capitalists.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index