Register
U-Know! Forum »
Who are these so-called 'Rich' people?

26 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re: Who are these so-called 'Rich' people?
Oct 13, 2010, 17:36
I get into this argument all the time with my fellow Americans of a conservative persuasion.

Clearly, there are rich folk who've earned it. I do not begrudge anyone who, thru brilliance or hard work becomes wealthy.

However, there's an attitude that's become doctrine amongst the conservative crowd here, and it's this:

Anyone who criticizes the wealthy is 'jealous' (never mind that the wealthy pull the strings in society and capriciously put millions out of work to boost their stock portfolios... that's their 'privilege' and 'good economics')

The wealthy 'deserve' their spoils NO MATTER HOW it was gained... inheritance, stocks, etc... and they deserve to keep MORE OF IT than the rest of us because of the fallacious 'trickle down' theory (one favorite quote of the Republicans is 'nobody ever got hired by a poor person'.)

The conservatives believe that EVERY DIME the rich have is THEIR MONEY. Never mind that without the labor and compliance of the rest of society they'd be no better off than the rest of us.

The conservatives believe that it is more beneficial for the poor to be able to get cheaper goods made abroad than to be able to have decent paying jobs at home. See 'WalMart'.

They think if you aren't making an upper middle class income, at least, that you are a 'loser'... and god forbid you have to rely on public assistance. In that case your worth as a human being to them is pretty much over.

There's a million other examples I could put out there... some of it is incredible in it's insanity... there's a vote coming up here in Massachusetts that would drop the sales tax from 6.25 percent to 3 percent. Naturally, all the stingy old 'angry white men' are backing it, claiming they are 'taxed to death'. They don't care that if it passes it will mean thousands thrown out of work, state services cut to the bone... they don't feel like they owe anything to their country.

What is most disturbing is that many struggling people have come to the conclusion that these oligarchs are right, and it's not the RICH who are greedy, its the POOR!!!!!! Seriously... America is on the fringe of regressing back to the 19th century!
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index